Wiring or fuse issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stebo28

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Silverado
Engine Size
350ci
You must be registered for see images attach
hi guys, I have a 1986 Chevy C-10 Silverado. 350 ci 700R4 Transmission
I was leaving work and had to be jumped off which it started fine that morning. So I leave work and get mabey a mile down the road and my truck sputtered and died , also I saw a little bit of smoke come out of the a/c vent above stereo. You can smell the burnt wire but I couldn’t find or locate any burnt or stripped wire. I am also not getting and power to my fuse box besides my horn fuse. Not sure if this helped but I tried to jump a wire from horn fuse to ignition and was able to get my truck to turn over but I wasn’t getting any fire. Like the guy said earlier wiring and electrical issues aren’t my strong point. If anyone has had this issue or might be able to help diagnose the problem I will be very happy. I miss driving my truck. Thanks guys

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would guess a fusible link burnt out. They’re located at the back of the block on the passenger side, close to the starter

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
If smoke came out of the a/c duct then I'd guess it was the blower motor resistor in the heater box that shorted out somehow. if it was coming from around the duct then maybe it was the heater control switch.
If I understand right, Everything was fine/normal up until you left work and you find your battery was dead and needed a jump to start it.
Not sure why only the horn would work, I'd have to look at a wiring diagram.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Nice lookin c10. On my truck 2 fusible links are on the firewall, drivers side and one on the starter. My truck wasnt charging and after replacing the batt and alt i figured out it was the link on the starter:confused:. Good luck!

Stebo28

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 Silverado
Engine Size
350ci
Thanks everyone for the Advice. I am going to check that fusible link and the blower motor resistor. I also was checking and a buddy said it may be the super fuse ,he called it , located on the Hott side cable in the wire somewhere. Soon as it quits raining and lightening I am going to check those things out. Louisiana weather sucks.
Thanks again for y’alls help and advice.
I’ll let you know if those things work.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
A wire that was naked and shorting.could of killed your battery.there is a burnt wire some where.keep the battery un done.to you find it.

You are lucky there was not a fire.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Soon as it quits raining and lightening I am going to check those things out.

Good idea. Water and electricity don't mix well.

First off, disconnect the ground wire at the battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising