Wiring identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Im trying to determine what on my new cab I have to save and what I can pull out. Cab is off of an 87' R20. Im thinking all I need accessory wise is some power to the heater/blower (other than dash, radio, lights etc.)

These come through behind the distributor.

You must be registered for see images

This comes through similar to the speedo cable on the drivers side.

This follows the harness along the cowl.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That first pic looks like TBI plugs. :popcorn:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
And the last pic looks like a relay plug for the fuel pump. I know the heater only trucks have their own self contained harness that goes from the controls to the blower and resistor. Not sure on the AC, I think they have at least one plug going into the engine harness for the AC clutch control, 2 green wires. Somebody just posted a pic of that plug I am talking about yesterday somewhere. Here it is:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143578#post143578

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
And the last pic looks like a relay plug for the fuel pump. I know the heater only trucks have their own self contained harness that goes from the controls to the blower and resistor. Not sure on the AC, I think they have at least one plug going into the engine harness for the AC clutch control, 2 green wires. Somebody just posted a pic of that plug I am talking about yesterday somewhere.
Thanks that clears a few things up. I'm not worried about the AC, that's getting capped off I just want to make sure I have heat and blower motors working... I've got a manual pump so I don't think that relay will be necessary, just need to get power to the pickup. Only one I need to trace now is that second wire.

Edit: My other cab was heater only so I have an idea what your referencing

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That second wire what color wires are going into the plug? Kind of hard to tell from the pic. Also is that tan looking wire coming out of that same harness too? :popcorn:

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
That second wire what color wires are going into the plug? Kind of hard to tell from the pic. Also is that tan looking wire coming out of that same harness too? :popcorn:

I not sure what color they are :confused: I'll run out and check in a few. But that tan wire is in the same harness. Theres nothing else coming out in that harness other than that tan wire and the plug...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Whats the tan wire go to? I'll run out and look at mine too.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
They both go into the cab in the same style grommet as the speedo cable, I can't tell where under the dash they go to. Its too dark to really tell right now but one looks to be dark grey and the other brown.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yap, dark and raining here, I took a quick look though. Only 2 plugs I see that fit that shape and colors are the TBI temp sensor on the intake manifold and there is another plug similar shape but smaller in size going to the reel light on the firewall. I'm guessing the one in your pic is for the coolant sensor for the computer. Keep in mind this is separate from the single wire and plug that go to the sensor for the temp gauge on the driver's side head between cyl 1 & 2.

Ok, EDIT. Looking at the pic again that thing is pretty tight to the driver's side firewall so it could be for something else, I just could not dig too deep in mine to see anything else that would help so I could be wrong on that guess.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Thank you very much. Looks like everything I pictured will end up being tied up when the cab goes on. I can see why you had trouble locating that, it looks like it would come out right behind the valve cover...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's what has me second guessing myself, that thing should be long enough to reach the front of the motor if it was for the coolant sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay