Wiring an in cab winch switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an extra remote for my Warn 8274 and decided to remove the switch from then rubber pistol grip and route it into the cab.

I removed the cover from the solenoid and matched up the three wires from the remote to the same ones on the female plug on the winch. I took the plug off the end of the control and put ring terminals on each of the three wires. From there I connected the wire ends to the solenoid posts.

Before I reconnect the winch to the battery. I wanted to be sure I connected the remote correctly. And, will I still be able to use a remote with the plug on the outside of the solenoid cover? I did not disconnect that plug just connected the additional the wires to the corresponding posts.

Does this make sense?

Thanks.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah you're good to go. All you did was hard wire in another switch in parallel with the normal remote. Think of your new dash mounted switch as the local control station (with really long buttons) - because schematically that is what it is - and the hand held unit as still the remote control.

Another way to think of it is as if the dash switch was mounted right on the solenoid and you had really long arms- so long that you could sit in the truck but still reach out and operate the switch.

The only problem that might arise is if two people were to operate the two different switches (the hand held trigger unit and the dash switch) at the same time and for whatever reason - misunderstanding, bad aim, stupidity, excessive alcohol consumption, etc - tried to run the winch in different directions simultaneously. Even then, it shouldn't cause any harm. I don't have a schematic, but I think the result would be only that the winch would not move either way.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Perfect. And when i go off road, I don't let the misunderstood, inebriated, stupid people run the winch. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486