wire routing and questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Niceandeasy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have just bought a 87’ Chevy C10. The old owner swapped in a carbureted 305 and the wiring is spliced everywhere with electrical tape and wire nuts. I have cut the tbi harness out because it was not in use and it was hacked up plus I have a mechanical fuel pump. My question for now is starter wire routing(2 reds and purple) behind the motor? Picture will help. Plus the alternator hots are just going to the battery is that ok or should it go to the starter? Thanks a head of time.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

squarebodycouple

Reaction score
First Name
Neil&Shawnda
Truck Year
81 GMC on title
Truck Model
C1500 on title but it’s a gm frankentruck
Engine Size
350 crate
I’ve got my alt hots going strait to the battery, 350 crate refurbed alt . Has one wire and the plug .

Niceandeasy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Hope this helps!

:patriot:
No I didn’t need firing order. I need to know the starter wires route. It’s the 2 reds and one purple on driver side of fire wall. Need to know how wires routed over to starter.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Alt bat post can go straight to bat+. Starter should have a large wire from bat+. The purple travels along the firewall to solenoid. I thought the coil bypass wire off the solenoid was pink, but my truck was a 24v diesel in its past life, so I don’t know what to say there.

I think in an 87, the ignition switch delivers 12v to the coil pink wire in the start position. So in theory you’d only need the purple to the solenoid and red to starter motor from the bat+.

Sorry I can’t be definitive. But I’m sure in time, someone more knowledgeable about factory wiring colors will come along...

Also, depending on the age of the ignition system I.e. non-hei, you may need the bypass.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oh well I heard sometimes them spark plug ignition type wires can get crossed around and all sorts of mixed up, like sometimes if your changing the spark plugs and your not paying like a real close of attention...

I seen it says wire routing and well, I just figured that's what you meant! There's not any pictures to see so I was kinda just guessin anyway! But! I knos that's the right order for the spark plugs wires cuz I learnt that on here a long time ago. See these are some real swell folk! I'm sure they'll help ya get your spark plug wire order figured out all the right way even though your new. Don't worry fren!

Your new.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No I didn’t need firing order. I need to know the starter wires route. It’s the 2 reds and one purple on driver side of fire wall. Need to know how wires routed over to starter.

Are talking about how they are physically run or what they are connected to?

If it is the layout you mean, it is like this:

The engine component harness is essentially layed out in a T shape. All engine associated wiring transits the firewall bulkhead connector through the large inboard section and then heads up towards the distributor area.

You must be registered for see images attach

A few leads (for control and sensing stuff) exit the loom near the distributor - circled:

On the other side of the distributor, the loom tees off and carries the wiring to the alternator. The other leg (with leads that connect to the starter) continues to the right and then goes down to the solenoid. It might make the last few inches in a curved pipe - but yours might be long gone.

Niceandeasy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for Everyone’s posts; great info do far. When I get home I will post some pictures of what I’m dealing with to see if that helps.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had to check the URL, for a minute there I thought I was on Pirate.

Niceandeasy

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
3 wires in hand goes to started need to know how they was Routed

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Dear God . . . here . . .

Attachments

• Solenoid Connections.doc
    130.9 KB · Views: 340

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

:lol::laughing1:Ya just gotta know @Rustynail. He means no harm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85