Wipers barley working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Not sure what year you have, but i fought the same problem for a long time on my 90 suburban until I finally replaced the wiper delay module that's mounted under the steering column.
Fixed the problem completely
Did you find a used wiper delay module, or a new one? If new, where from?

I've never come across a good used one yet...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Too much barley can make the wipers barely work? I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one that makes typos.;)
My spelling is naturally dreadful. Once I had to get into customer service and management in auto repair because my body didn't want me turning wrench as much I had to improve. Even still I trip over some words terribly still, but I tend to read, and re-read and try not to let anyone see it. But it's there! BTW I've heard if you fill your cowling with barley it will slow your wipers to barely work :)
I've read that the wiper stalk can be part of the issue by limiting the amount of current able to pass through it. Would this be a possible cause also?
I've read that too. I've never seen it though. I've seen switches fail, where the wipers won't work, or will quit working but work again after giggling the switch, of only work on certain speeds. IDK, if you have read this on other threads, but I see a lot of old squares at the shop. Pretty much there is almost always at least one in the shop. Most I would describe as being in daily driver condition. I've never seen a switch cause wipers to run slow. I have seen a LOT of worn out motors or bad rebuilds cause wipers to run slow or even stop on a dry windshield or when the squirters are engaged. Followed by bad grounds. But just because I haven't seen a switch cause a slow wipers doesn't mean it can't, I just don't think that's very common at all. I see very few with delay, so my knowledge is much more limited on how the delay module likes to malfunction.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I bought mine new from rock auto about two years ago but it has since disappeared from their website entirely. Looks like eBay, Craigslist or Rebuild the one you have with new components are the only options available.
Did you find a used wiper delay module, or a new one? If new, where from?

I've never come across a good used one yet...

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I've found that the wire terminals back out of the plastic connecters. It looks like the connecter is plugged into the end device be it the wiper motor , distributor , etc. When actually the wire is pushed back away from the spade connecter. I had this happen on the distributor connecter. The truck just died one day. I pulled the dizzy out and took it to a shop, it checked ok. Found the wires weren't making contact with the dizzy. I was also having problems with my wipers when it was raining and wet. Go figure. I found the same problem with the wipers the old plastic gets brittle and won't hold the wire in place. The moisture getting in the connecter doesn't help much either. I sealed the wiper plug connecters with RTV.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I still intend on dissecting my wiper motor here shortly and check out the magnets. They glue them to the inside of the casing and eventually through rust from condensation or dried glue giving out, they come off the casing and 'clamp' the armature. Only takes half of one side to come off to bog it down.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Thanks for all the tips and help. I'm currently regrounding as much as i can and then ill see if that fixes it, they do seem to work going down the road when its raining oddly enough.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I still intend on dissecting my wiper motor here shortly and check out the magnets. They glue them to the inside of the casing and eventually through rust from condensation or dried glue giving out, they come off the casing and 'clamp' the armature. Only takes half of one side to come off to bog it down.
I hope you'll post what you find, I'm very interested to see.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the tips and help. I'm currently regrounding as much as i can and then ill see if that fixes it, they do seem to work going down the road when its raining oddly enough.
A couple of things there. So when the windshield is wet there is less resistance. When you're going down the road the engine RPM is up at least somewhat which means the alternator is producing a little more power.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hope you'll post what you find, I'm very interested to see.
I went through this exact scenario with 4N wiper motors. If it is the way I think it is (and to be honest, it may not be)......it will explain alot of the wiper issues. There is an 86 C10 at the yard with the possibility of Earth like weather tomorrow. Going to try and bag it to dissect. My original actually doesn't work too bad so not going to tear it apart just yet. Looks like alot of rivets to drill out to get anywhere.....brilliant.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I've been chasing a slow (mostly slowing to a stop) wiper issue on my suburban lately. Went through all the electrical side with no luck. Linkages are free as anything with no blade arms attached, but with the wipers on the resistance of the wiper on the screen is massive. I'm swapping to a different style blade (and one thats a little shorter too) to see if that makes any difference. If that option fails then I'm going to look into some lighter springs in the wiper arms to ease the pressure on the windscreen

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been chasing a slow (mostly slowing to a stop) wiper issue on my suburban lately. Went through all the electrical side with no luck. Linkages are free as anything with no blade arms attached, but with the wipers on the resistance of the wiper on the screen is massive. I'm swapping to a different style blade (and one thats a little shorter too) to see if that makes any difference. If that option fails then I'm going to look into some lighter springs in the wiper arms to ease the pressure on the windscreen
So for your information, I'm running a new WIA motor, I've never replaced my switch nor done any wiring work for the wipers, and I'm still using the stock mechanical washer pump. I replaced my wiper arms with new arms because my old wiper arms had springs that were weak which lead to streaking. (I would be concerned about that if you went to weaker springs) And I'm running 18" Bosch Clear advantage beam blade wipers. I will admit that if say I turn the wiper switch on by accident on a dray windshield they'll run slow, but 18" beams are going to have a lot more resistance dry than conventional 16".

My point to all this if your wipers are slowing and stopping there is a problem somewhere, I've gone over the most common stuff in my earlier posts in this thread. You don't say what you're running for wiper blades, so that could be a contributing factor, but I think even if you do something like install lighter springs, it'll catch up to you because whatever is causing the problem will likely get worse.

I will also add that I have seen wiper linkage that appeared to more freely, but would bind up when resistance was put to it. It is possible to take the linkage apart and lubricate everything, which will reduce resistance. It's 40 years old and likely never serviced, you know it's lost at least some of it's lubrication.

Well whatever path you choose to go down I hope you get them working properly again, and report to us what you try.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
So for your information, I'm running a new WIA motor, I've never replaced my switch nor done any wiring work for the wipers, and I'm still using the stock mechanical washer pump. I replaced my wiper arms with new arms because my old wiper arms had springs that were weak which lead to streaking. (I would be concerned about that if you went to weaker springs) And I'm running 18" Bosch Clear advantage beam blade wipers. I will admit that if say I turn the wiper switch on by accident on a dray windshield they'll run slow, but 18" beams are going to have a lot more resistance dry than conventional 16".

My point to all this if your wipers are slowing and stopping there is a problem somewhere, I've gone over the most common stuff in my earlier posts in this thread. You don't say what you're running for wiper blades, so that could be a contributing factor, but I think even if you do something like install lighter springs, it'll catch up to you because whatever is causing the problem will likely get worse.

I will also add that I have seen wiper linkage that appeared to more freely, but would bind up when resistance was put to it. It is possible to take the linkage apart and lubricate everything, which will reduce resistance. It's 40 years old and likely never serviced, you know it's lost at least some of it's lubrication.

Well whatever path you choose to go down I hope you get them working properly again, and report to us what you try.
Ive also put in a new wiper motor a few years ago - that made no difference at the time and its only now Im starting to revisit the issue. My wipers jus had the conventional claw type blades which are 16". Im swapping it over to beam type blades in the hope that the structure is a bit more ridged so there will be less rubber in contact with the screen. Also dropping to a 15" blade. Also worth noting is my Burb has been converted to right hand drive so its not all competly factory as far as the linkages are concerned. Mostly its just a change in location for the wiper pivots and the linkages have had a cut and shut to reflect the different locations. Wiper motor is in the same factory location, but not the same angle as the A/C evaporator is directly under it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ive also put in a new wiper motor a few years ago - that made no difference at the time and its only now Im starting to revisit the issue. My wipers jus had the conventional claw type blades which are 16". Im swapping it over to beam type blades in the hope that the structure is a bit more ridged so there will be less rubber in contact with the screen. Also dropping to a 15" blade. Also worth noting is my Burb has been converted to right hand drive so its not all competly factory as far as the linkages are concerned. Mostly its just a change in location for the wiper pivots and the linkages have had a cut and shut to reflect the different locations. Wiper motor is in the same factory location, but not the same angle as the A/C evaporator is directly under it.
Interesting. Good luck with getting it figured out!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Picked up an 86 wiper motor at the yard today.....it barely moved. I started dissasembling it (PITA) and its exactly like the ones I used to rebuild.....besides loads of crud built up, there are 2 half moon magnets - corrosion / glue dissintegrated - totally stuck to and clamped down on the armature. THATS why they dont move.

So much of these things are riveted so disassembly isn't a quick thing, but I am taking loads of pics and will post them - maybe in a new thread? - as a walk through to fixing these things.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100