wing/vent windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just called my friend Jim at Granite State Glass.

Jim says that the rubber between the vent glass and the steel frame is on the shelf (at any auto glass place). That I kind of figured.

What I didn't expect was that the rubber does not come pre-formed in that U shape. It is a flat strip (the thickness varies with the application) that only takes on that U shape when the glass is pressed into the frame. It is heated and forms a water-tight seal when pressed in. The width is oversized and any excess is trimmed after the bond sets up.

Knowing that I am restoring an old truck, he offered a word of advice:

If you are shooting for a mint condition end result on the vent window, remove the glass frame from the rest of the bracing and bring it (along with the glass) to the shop before you do the final steps. In other words, don't do your final finishing until after the glass is locked into the frame or you'll probably end up doing it over.

The reason is that, the process of jamming the glass into the frame is violent. It almost always results in some scratching and chipping of the frame finish (be it paint or chrome).

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I just called my friend Jim at Granite State Glass.

Jim says that the rubber between the vent glass and the steel frame is on the shelf (at any auto glass place). That I kind of figured.

What I didn't expect was that the rubber does not come pre-formed in that U shape. It is a flat strip (the thickness varies with the application) that only takes on that U shape when the glass is pressed into the frame. It is heated and forms a water-tight seal when pressed in. The width is oversized and any excess is trimmed after the bond sets up.

Knowing that I am restoring an old truck, he offered a word of advice:

If you are shooting for a mint condition end result on the vent window, remove the glass frame from the rest of the bracing and bring it (along with the glass) to the shop before you do the final steps. In other words, don't do your final finishing until after the glass is locked into the frame or you'll probably end up doing it over.

The reason is that, the process of jamming the glass into the frame is violent. It almost always results in some scratching and chipping of the frame finish (be it paint or chrome).

Good to know, i will check with some of the local places, hopefully i can rebuild both sets and have a spare

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Spare? Brandon - don't you have faith in your work? If you do a real good teardown and rebuild. Then properly coat the steel parts - you'll be shaving with that truck before those vents come undone.

Complete vent window assemblies are still available from the dealer. The cost is insane - about $450 each.

If you make two nice sets, pick the best for yourself and sell the other set. I bet you get $400 easy (for a set).

After this you'll be an expert. Think about it, you could go to the JY, pick up a couple of sets for $50. Bring them home, restore and sell them for another $300- 400.

Before long you'll be living like a rock star.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
lol.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Anyone know for sure if the vents from a 90 suburban will fit my 86 truck? I hope so, got just the drivers side today and it is nearly flawless for 24 years old, even the rubber is still in great shape! I'm hoping the right side is equally good

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
well the right side is even better! hope they fit

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looks good. OEM part number for left hand vent window assembly complete is 15634471.

Here is the application chart:

You must be registered for see images attach

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Yay! I'm really surprised by the shape of these. I wonder if they were never used? Will post pics later.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35