wing/vent windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I only need the drivers side, don't have 50 posts yet.....not trying to make a WTB post

I have seen a few on Ebay but they seem overpriced. I actually have everything for the window, the frame is in decent shape BUT..the chrome trim that actually surrounds the front/bottom of my drivers side window is not attached to the glass and is slightly bent. can i remove it and rebend it to fit? how would I reattch it? I have not seen anywhere that sells that piece!

also will need the rivet for it, but I have seen you can buy those for a few bucks.

although if someone had a spare they wouldn't mind parting with, I would not be opposed...lol

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
why not get a used one. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I've had these on the workbench for a few years.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had intentions of rebuilding my vent windows but you know - since I burned up the black truck and all - they have just been sitting there.

It's a complete kit; rivets, punch and the mandrels. I suppose I could send you a few (and let you borrow the tool) if you email me your address.

Oh yeah and give me a reputation point. Word on the street is, they're going to start giving out prizes to the people with the most points.

Let me know.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I've had these on the workbench for a few years.

I had intentions of rebuilding my vent windows but you know - since I burned up the black truck and all - they have just been sitting there.

It's a complete kit; rivets, punch and the mandrels. I suppose I could send you a few (and let you borrow the tool) if you email me your address.

Oh yeah and give me a reputation point. Word on the street is, they're going to start giving out prizes to the people with the most points.

Let me know.
I heard that, maybe you'll get something good. Lol

I will get back to you on borrowing the tool, i need to get window seals ordered so i only have to do it once.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
why not get a used one. highdesertranger

The glass and everything else is in pretty good shape, just needs a rivet and the edge trim reattached somehow.

I haven't seen any used for sale for a good price

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Brandon, I am doing the same thing you are - rebuilding my vents with only OEM parts.

I just picked up the LH and RH locking handles. NOS with the buttons - real nice (one was $39 and the other was $18).

My glass is perfect, as are the frames.

The pivot springs and bushing only need to be cleaned and lubricated. BTW - I have two complete vent window sets to work with so if you need any little stuff let me know.

Now we come to the weather seal - this is where it gets hard. I have sourced a new OEM rubber for the RH vent (P/N 15661415), but the LH side (P/N 15661416) is proving harder to find.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
i will try to get a pic tonight of the frame. it would be great if it could just be rebent and reglued.

found a few links, might be able to just tweak it! this was the best

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ventwindowrebuilt.htm

the part that confuses me is what actually holds the glass to the chrome trim frame

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
"local" junkyard had some vent windows, probably can't get them for a week (i fly here 5 days/week, but am off next week) hope they are in OK shape

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just pulled the glass from a frame. Between the glass and the inner walls of the frame is a rubber seal (U-shaped in cross-section like the frame).

The OEM frame/seal/glass unit is assembled without any adhesive. The glass is held in place only by the close tolerances between the 3 parts. I imagine that at the time of production the rubber was first snapped onto the edge of the glass. Then, at final assembly, the glass/rubber seal was heated and pressed into the channel of the frame.

This assembly stays together for a long time - until rust forms on the inner walls of the steel frame. Over time the rust grows thicker. Eventually it expands to the point that it begins to force the seal/glass out of the frame channel.

Here are a few images. I apologize for the quality, they kind of suck - my camera is getting old:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Hmmm, where does one get that rubber piece, or can trv/weather stripping adhesive be substituted?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good question. After removing the rubber, I slid the glass back into the frame. Without the seal between them, the gap is real big.

It would appear that the two gaps (one on either side of the glass) are too wide to allow the use of just a sealant. Don't go by me though, I am no auto glass expert.

I would take the parts to an auto glass place as a first option. Auto glass thickness is held to federal standards - so there is a good chance they will have the proper seal material on the shelf.

If it is too high on the side walls, the excess can be trimmed off after assembly. They will most likely also suggest the use of some sort of liquid adhesive to anchor glass in the rubber and the rubber to the frame.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I'm getting a windshield replaced next week ago I will ask

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Steele rubber products should have those seals. If not they will make them.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think LMC also has the seals to completely rebuild them as well.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I think LMC also has the seals to completely rebuild them as well.

have a link or part number? I thought I only saw the outer seals, not the rubber to seal the glass to the trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly