Windshield Washer Fluid Pump Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So my truck, 1983 k10, doesn't spray washer fluid. I recently bought it, and the guy i bought it from gave me a kit to replace the pump that he had yet to install. He had bought a universal washer fluid pump kit, where the pump is set into the reservoir, yet my truck it is nothing like that. I have very little experience with these trucks, but the tube out of the top of the reservoir going into a unit mounted on the drivers side corner of the hood. To the best of my knowledge, it contains the wiper motor, and im assuming, the washer pump.
Do i have to buy that entire unit? Where would i find the new pump and how would i go about installing it?

Also, the bigger tube goes in coming from the reservoir, and 2 smaller ones come out, and just hang there. I see there are slots beneath each wiper for them to go in, do i just slide them through and that spray on the windshield, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do i have to buy that entire unit?

From your description, it sounds like your washer pump is the type that is integral with the wiper motor.

If you buy a new wiper motor it will come with the pump included:

You must be registered for see images attach

A couple of options at Rockauto (reman from Delco $130 or Cardone $53):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1030857,parttype,8844

Or, if your wiper motor is good, you can save $$ and buy a washer pump rebuild kit for cheap ($6):

Again at Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,...44,a,www.google.com+Search+for+1983+CHEVROLET

Also, the bigger tube goes in coming from the reservoir, and 2 smaller ones come out, and just hang there. I see there are slots beneath each wiper for them to go in, do i just slide them through and that spray on the windshield, or is there more to it than that?

Under the cowling there are 2 L shaped pieces of tubing. The hoses from the pump attach to them:

Then, on the other end of the steel tubing, there is another short hose. That hose connects to a tube in the wiper arm which delivers the washer fluid to the nozzles on the blade pivot pin:

The short hoses are probably still connected to the arms. You only have to connect the ones from the pump to the L shaped tubing.

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sorry, never got back on this

Took the cowling off (Long time ago, back when this was posted) as i needed to connect the hoses to the fittings under the wipers. Turns out, there is no fittings, at all.

Where do i go from here?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Sorry, never got back on this

Took the cowling off (Long time ago, back when this was posted) as i needed to connect the hoses to the fittings under the wipers. Turns out, there is no fittings, at all.

Where do i go from here?

What I did for my 84' was to get nozzles from an 81-84 truck. I had broken mine, so replacements were necessary. Make sure to get the small metal nozzles that bolt to the cowl. Later on they switched to nozzles on the wiper arm. Avoid those. I then got a reservoir and pump from an 87'. This has the pump that inserts into the reservoir. I then extended the wiring that ran the integral washer pump in the wiper motor, to the pump in the 87' reservoir. This setup works GREAT.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
An 83 has the spray nozzles mounted to the cowl screen only. There is no tube to the wipers. That option came in 85.

You could also visit the wreckers and get an 87? 88-90 washer reservoir out of a suburban or crew cab and it will bolt right in. Those ones have a motor mounted in the reservoir and will accept the motor you already have from buddy. There are 2 different variations in the electrical connections though. So grab the pig tails with the pump and reservoir.

Run the out line from the pump into the wiper mounted pump and leave the other 2 as is. The wiper mounted pump has a built in check valve and this prevents the lines from emptying and taking time to refill every time you hit the washer.

The 2 wires that plug into the wiper motor mounted pump are pink and white. Use those 2 wires to feed power to the reservoir mounted pump.

There is another option to get a universal pump that mounts to the fender out side the reservoir and use the suction tube that is already in your current reservoir to feed the pump and then with a T fitting run the out line to the 2 lines that attach to the cowl. or run it through the wiper mounted pump.

I upgraded to the reservoir mounted pump set up and I find it to be the best of all 3 as I started with the pump in the wiper motor then went to the fender mount and now have the pump in the reservoir.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya what foamy pirate said lol I type like a snail

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Haha, alright, so im a little bit confused here
I think ill just use the pump on the exterior of the resivour that i have now, because i already have it and its easier, someday if i want to ill find a later model one and upgrade it.
But, the main part that confuses me, is where do the 2 hoses go? I have no nozzles anywhere under the cowl, is it on the cowl piece itself? I dont remebering there being any around anywhere there.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They bolt to the metal slotted cover that sits between the hood and the windshield roughly in the same locations as the wiper arm pivots

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I thought you said the universal pump you have fits into the reservoir?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They are on the under side of the cowl grill and poke through the slots to spray on the windshield.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So you have the reservoir with the pump? in that case I guess your set. Just run the out from your new pump into the center nipple of your stock wiper motor mounted pump and leave the other 2 as they were. Your simply using the old pump as a tee and as a check valve. Keeps your hose routing simple.

It will not restrict your pressure.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, Thanks!!

Where can i buy new nozzles? Now i know where they go, i need to get some... lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Junk yard for sure. LMC part # 30-1424 need 2 @ $6.95 each chevy/gmc 81-84

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, ill just go with lmc cause theres no junkyards close by. Thanks for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70meyers