Windshield installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
That's when it cracked on me. Last corner with like 2" inches of seal to go :(

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I pay to them done, because once you break one windshield, you haven't saved any money. As a buddy used to say, "You're chasing a nickel with a dollar."

I had a new windshield installed last year. My gawd, is there anything nicer than a new windshield? Anyway, the glass guys put the gasket back on the cab, set the new glass against it, and using glass cleaner as the lubricant, set the base of the windshield into the seal, and the worked up both sides at the same time, and then they headed towards the center of the top, from each corner.

Never do you want to install a windshield from a corner first. You'll break them every time. Always start at the bottom, whether using the rope method, or the seal-goes-in-first method, and then work evenly around it.

Speaking of chasing a nickel with a dollar, I decided to save the $50 or whatever, because I thought my seal was good. Well, now it doesn't fit against the cab good at all, and guess how bad it leaks. Thanks for the tip on the rockauto gaskets. I need to get mine replaced.

Oh, regarding the suggestion to use silicone. Don't. There's something about silicone and auto body paint. Plus, if you ever have to replace that, you'll be screwed. There are several butyl based, black glass sealants made for this, and they are readily available.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The first one that broke was the one in the truck when I got it so it didn't cost anything to break it. If I get this one in the total will be $62 as opposed to $200+ from all the local companies. I know what I did wrong last time now so I'm pretty sure this one will go in better without breaking. I'll hold onto the extra 140ish for other things, its just a chance I'm willing to take.

Plus the officer said all I needed was a receipt for a windshield so even if I break it again I got the receipt so that takes care of the ticket for now hopefully.....

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well it's in an unbroken, thanks for the tips guys!

We used the method I quoted above an lots of foaming glass cleaner for lubricant.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well it's in an unbroken, thanks for the tips guys!

We used the method I quoted above an lots of foaming glass cleaner for lubricant.

SUCESSS !!! :waytogo: And saved $140ish. :happy107:

Prof GMC

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Congrats on the install. I also have installed a couple of square body windshields. Some more good tips if anybody is interested is aclimating the glass in a warm garage if you can somewhere around 70 degrees. I have found out the hard way that trying to install one in cold weather is a no no. I use the install tools from LMC with half car wash, and half water in a spray bottle. Soak the seal with spray, and spray while you are placing glass into seal. Another tip is to remove the hood. This is the most important tip. You guessed it, climb your butt in the engine bay, and go at it. You have more control of what you are doing up there. Its not a bad job, but you have to have paitence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki1978