Windshield installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Anyone got any tips, tricks or advice on installing a square windshield?

All the glass places want to much imo, plus it just isn't in the budget to pay what they are asking. I removed mine an put it back once but cracked it. Trying to avoid cracking the next one.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
windex is a great lube for putting windows in I never put one in without spraying it and the rubber with windex

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Around here, this is a guy who runs a CL ad occasionally. I called him up and he wanted $125 to install a new windshield and that was coming to my house to do it. I thought that was a great deal. I've called other shops and they want $175 whether they come to you or you take it to them. I'll be using the CL guy when I get ready, and hopefully have him do 2 of mine at the same time and see if he'll knock off a few bucks on the second one since he won't have an additional trip charge. All of my friggin squares need windshields except one but the guy cut up the rubber seal trying to take the windshield, so it has to come out anyway.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Slightly off topic, what are the prices y'all are seeing for new Windshields?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Slightly off topic, what are the prices y'all are seeing for new Windshields?

I got one from the pull a part for $42. All the glass places want around $200 here to come do a new one. the glass is $100 an the other 100 is labor.

Hr, I pot an add on craigslist looking for someone to do it, but no bites so far.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
$100 for the glass doesn't sound bad... I'm planning on doing the installation myself, so that'll nix the cost on installation.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
$100 for the glass doesn't sound bad... I'm planning on doing the installation myself, so that'll nix the cost on installation.

Have you done one before? It isn't as easy as it looks...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Google something like - "how to install a windshield using string". Thats how I do it.

Use 1/4" clothes line or sash cord, grease the pinchweld windshield frame and rubber up real good with Vaseline. Set the glass and rubber in place then pull the cord while an assistant applies pressure on the outside. When you start pulling the cord, the rubber comes in along with it and snaps over the frame. Start in a lower corner first - if you start at the top, you be fighting the weight of the windshield when you get to the bottom .

When you set the glass in the hole, you put the ends of the rope (already wrapped around the rubber that goes on the pinchweld) into the cab first. Hold the glass firmly against the cab and begin to pull on the end of the rope to peel the rubber up and over the pinchweld to the inside. Do this all the way around until the glass is in. Unfortunately it sounds simple, but it ain't quite that easy.

The key is finding the right cord to use - it has to be strong, but as thin as possible.

Last edited:

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I haven't done it yet, but I've seen and heard the cord method... I figured I should be able to get it alright with the help of a friend. I'm more worried about getting the lock strip in than the seal popped in the truck.

Figured I'd go at it slow and easy... Hopefully it's cooperative... :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've roped in several back glasses and a windshiled on a 69 International before. It's not hard IF your rubber seal is in good workable shape. If it's hardened of stiff, you'll have plenty of trouble and very possibly a leak too. If you can do anything to soften the rubber seal first, do that too. That's the biggest tip I can give. As long as you're not using metal tools to pry and push, you should not be in any danger of damaging the glass, and if you goof up on the roping it in, you can always take it out and start over without damage, so it's a bit foregiving in most cases. Not sure about Squarebody windshileds though. I'd imagine it's very similar.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I put in a windshield on my truck myself. you gotta be careful, but it can be done. Just get yourself a locking strip tool(if that's what kind of gasket you have). Once the windshield is out, place the gasket back on the cab, spray lithium grease all over it, set in the new glass, It will slip right in place almost by itself. Then spray the crap out of the locking strip groove, and with your tool and the locking strip, go at it. It took me about 30 min to get it in.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Further to HRPC's point about the rubber seal. You really should renew it along with the glass.

Not only are old hard seals hard to snap over the pinchweld, they get a "memory" and don't want to seal again (even against the same frame).

If yours comes out clean (no rips, cuts, etc) and you think it's worth reinstalling - you might consider using black RTV silicone adhesive. Apply it as you would the Vaseline.

It will act as a lube during installation. Also, after the glass/seal are in place, it will set up and help create a good rubber/frame seal. It will help avoid water ingress and wind whistles.

Or buy a new rubber. Rockauto has 5 left:

VARIOUS MFR Part # WLS466 Black, Lockstrip w/o Joints; For Windshield Glass
Category: Windshield Moulding / Seal (Only 5 Remaining)

$14.72

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I put in a windshield on my truck myself. you gotta be careful, but it can be done. Just get yourself a locking strip tool(if that's what kind of gasket you have). Once the windshield is out, place the gasket back on the cab, spray lithium grease all over it, set in the new glass, It will slip right in place almost by itself. Then spray the crap out of the locking strip groove, and with your tool and the locking strip, go at it. It took me about 30 min to get it in.

This is the method I'm seeing on you tube. I tried doing the seal on the glass an pulling in with a rope method last time an cracked it. I'm going to try it this way I think. I've done a few back glasses no problem with the rope method but I'm thinking that being a flat piece of glass helps make those a little easier.

I don't have a lock strip tool but I'm going to get one on my way home this morning. Hopefully they can get it in before my buddy comes to help me on Sunday.

I just need it in for now as I got a ticket for it being cracked. It will come out again one day as I have rust in the frame that needs fixed before paint. I wanted to just run this one until then but Johnny law didn't like that idea :p

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I did about a half dozen 70's/80's Dodge truck windshields. 2 of them cracked in the last corner on me. So that makes me 70/30 on this task lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man