Windshield installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Anybody have a link to a good windshield installation? I live very rural so I will have to order one, hope it shows up without a crack and install if my self. I've done a few windows but any advice is very welcome.
Thanks

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Assume 87 sub? Unplug radio antenna and remove mirror. Remove center outside locking strip then push glass out using your feet from the inside. Make sure you have eye protection on just in case. Clean grove the old windshield was in then gently lay new glass in bottom channel. Start working the weatherstrip over the glass with a plastic bone. Use windshield cleaner as a lubricant. May have to tap glass down to lock it in, use your palms flat. Glass is actually quite hard to break if pressure is spread out. Then use a strip tool to reinsert the locking strip. Some people use sealant on the bottom edge, but I don't. Makes subsequent removal and clean up harder.

tool

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Also don't forget that there are drains in the bottom corners of the windshield frame, if you use sealant you need to make sure you don't block those drains. I know a glass guy so he did mine, he did not use sealant, and said he normally doesn't unless the windshield channel is in rough shape.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Anybody have a link to a good windshield installation? I live very rural so I will have to order one, hope it shows up without a crack and install if my self. I've done a few windows but any advice is very welcome.
Thanks
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
3M makes a great kit for windshield installation.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
3M makes a great kit for windshield installation.

So does SafeLight, they come in a van. Lol

So does Home Depot...in the rope section.

Honestly, I paid to have mione dine. Guy charged me $200 to install front & rear and redo the rubber on my vent windows (I supplied the parts). Saved me a lot of time!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Never again will I attempt a windshield install in one of these...or anything for that matter lol. Me and a buddy tried putting one in his '73. Broke the first after a few hours of struggling and had to start over. Took us like 9hrs total.

nbkk43f

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just did my first windshield and back glass install about 6 weeks ago. I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to it. I watched several videos online, including the two posted by FireTruck1984 above. All in all, the process went very smoothly, with just myself installing them both - I believe my wife helped me initially set the windshield in place.

You didn't mention if you're going with the deluxe (locking strip) or standard (no lock strip) seal - I had both options for my '77 and went with the lock strip style.

I'd recommend Precision for your gasket manufacturer. As for the tools, I relied on set of plastic trim removal tools, spray away foaming glass cleaner, windshield suction cups, a small plastic dead blow hammer (initial seating of the gasket in the corners), locking strip tool and patience.

Use plenty of the glass cleaner to help things move around easier - especially when it comes to the locking strip. The locking strip went way easier than expected - once you get the feel for it, it goes pretty quickly.

Windshield probably took me 2-3 hours to do - back glass was a bit more of a challenge in my opinion (suction cups came in quite handy for helping "move" the glass around), and probably took 3 hours.

Here's another video from Precision.

Good luck man!

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Hopefully it's easier than the rear slider I put in mine. OMG, what a PITA!
Man! That’s not what I wanted to hear my back window works fine just doesn’t have any of the rubber pieces in it. I was thinking of replacing it maybe I’ll just leave it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag