Why You No Hood Emblem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
My truck came to me with this little feller attached to it poorly.
Here he is after I made the hole the correct size and used a good amount of thread lock on his mounting screw.

You must be registered for see images attach

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
In 87 it looks like the hood ornament only came with Diesel Package(B3J), Exterior Decor Package (ZY5), and Big Dooley Package (ZY9)... doesn't appear to have anything to do with Silverado or C-10.

Page 51 of the PDF here: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1987-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf
I'm puzzled about the hood ornaments seen on '87 Chevy trucks. ZY5 states "Color Combination, Exterior Decor" yet they are seen solid color '87's as well as two-tones. Was there another RPO that included them or maybe they were dealer installed??

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm puzzled about the hood ornaments seen on '87 Chevy trucks. ZY5 states "Color Combination, Exterior Decor" yet they are seen solid color '87's as well as two-tones. Was there another RPO that included them or maybe they were dealer installed??
The ZY5 is not two tone paint. It is a special "dual-tone" striping on the side and back. It could be on solid or two tone paint jobs depending on which color option you chose.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Although, I would bet almost all the solid color ones you see are for the 6.2 Diesel. All other ones that got hood ornaments had some other kind of fancy color or stripe package as well.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The ZY5 is not two tone paint. It is a special "dual-tone" striping on the side and back. It could be on solid or two tone paint jobs depending on which color option you chose.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. I took "Color combination" as meaning two-tone.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I never owned or spent any time around a square that didn't have a hood ornament. Sure my dad had a '75 Jimmy when I was a kid, like before school age I don't fcuking remember what it had, and I when I was like 21-22 knew a chick with a '76 K-whatever it was but was too interested in the pu$$y to pay attention to her truck. As cool as it was we were always taking my 280z places because she was 29 or 30 and made enemies over the years so she always had a sliced tire or a gas tank full of water, I was just enjoying banging that who re and not having to deal with her personal drama on my time lol. And for all I know they both had ornaments. But the three squares I owned myself all had ornaments, as well as a good half dozen trucks that belonged to friends of mine. Sure I've seen them without ornaments over the years in parking lots or for sale, but I always assumed someone "shaved" it, or had an aftermarked replacement hood on there. Wasn't till I spent a lot of time here I realized that a bunch of squares came without them from the factory, they look naked to me. But heck I also thought all single headlight square eye trucks must have been municipal or fleet trucks, never seen someone I've known have one that was optioned for normal person use.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Must be regional differences. Most trucks around here definitely don't have the hood ornament. The only ones I've seen are diesels.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
This is not correct, per your own attachment/link. Zy5 is the two tone package, which consists of the secondary color in the inset and the pin stripe.

You could never order just the stripe without the two tone.

See page 81 of your link.

K

1979 c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rat
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
When I think hood ornament,

Or

But then I settle for

Attachments

• eagle-hood-ornament-allen-beatty.jpg
    eagle-hood-ornament-allen-beatty.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 43

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
When I think hood ornament,

Or

But then I settle for

The V8 (V=******?) model looks to be umm, anatomically correct. I want to see it closer up with better lighting and a better angle to verify.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This is not correct, per your own attachment/link. Zy5 is the two tone package, which consists of the secondary color in the inset and the pin stripe.

You could never order just the stripe without the two tone.

See page 81 of your link.

K
Ah, yep you are right. I was thinking that you could just order color 1 and color 2 as the same color like you could with ZY1-ZY4. Looking at the actual color charts on Page 77-78 though, it seems like the ZY5 and ZY9 could only be had in a few color combinations with specific striping as well, and color1 and color 2 being the same is not an option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey