Why did my electric fuel pump die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Praise Jegs. They sent me a new one for free.

reinstalling this weekend. Any suggestions for materials or designs for making an exhaust heat shield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, use aluminum sheet. Easy to cut and bend. Aluminum grabs the heat fast, also releases the heat fast. For brackets use flat steel. Bend a 90 degree or what is needed on each end. Drill holes in those bent ends, bolt to holes in the shield and whatever you find close by. Size to fit. Two brackets will work, three is best. You may even find a spot where you can just bend a corner of the sheet aluminum, and bolt to that.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Update: cut an aluminum plate and added adhesive heat barrier material to either side:
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed between exhaust and pump:

Haven’t taken the old pump apart so I can’t confirm that the exhaust was the culprit. But they’re pretty dang close.

Also, the pump is mounted right below the gap between the bed and the cab, so when it rains it gets wet. Anybody got photos of recommended alternative mounting spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks like some factory looking trick **** right there. Good Job there. :waytogo:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Is that pump grounded to the bed? I'd ground it to the frame and make sure the frame has a ground to the battery. Just concerned your pumps not getting 12 volts at all times.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is that pump grounded to the bed? I'd ground it to the frame and make sure the frame has a ground to the battery. Just concerned your pumps not getting 12 volts at all times.
Good Point. Many times people think a ground to the engine or firewall is good enough. What they forget is, the body mount bushings are rubber, the motor mounts are rubber and even though you have a bolt running through the chassis and touching the chassis metal doesn't make it a good solid ground unless you make it a solid ground. This is why the BIG 3 Upgrade is also beneficial for all your electrical components including light bulb sockets even.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded