Why did my electric fuel pump die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I have a 6 month old Mallory Series 110 fuel pump. This week it died. Checked all wiring, fuses, checked the controller (Revolution Electronics controller runs runs pump for 3 sec when ignition in accessory position). Everything seems ok. It’s the pump itself that is shot. Connect the leads straight to the batt, nothing. Checked it with a multimeter and the circuit appears broken (infinite resistance).

What the heck could have caused this, other than just poor manufacturing? My current top picks:

1. It’s just a bad pump.
2. Somehow the Revolution Electronics controller harmed the pump. I find this hard to believe, because the controller worked fine for several months and still appears to work.

That’s all I got. Keen to hear your thoughts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Not sure about that pump but generally they like to push the fuel and not pull it so it should be as close to the tanks as possible. I’ve heard of failures from overworking the pump trying to pull fuel all the way to the front of the truck.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Like Kevin stated, the pump should be close to the fuel tank and as low as possible. Issue here is that usually means the pump is close to the exhaust system. Heat also will destroy an electric pump. If needed add a heat shield, but keep the pump low and near the tank.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I know that the LS swap crowd avoids external pumps like the plague. Word on the street is that their death is very predictable. They don't last long.
I only ever tried one once, and it was when I swapped a tuned port motor into an 85 S10 Blazer. It lasted only a few months. I went to an internal one after that.
Joe

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Also, a return line helps electric pumps to run cooler.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The pump is right next to the fuel tank, so it shouldn’t be working too hard to get fuel. It has a filter between it and the tank, which was installed with the pump (6 months ago) so it should be fine. And if the pump was starving for fuel, I’d assume I would have experienced some sort of engine performance side effect, like sluggish acceleration or something, right?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
What about the heat, is the pump near the exhaust?

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Issue here is that usually means the pump is close to the exhaust system. Heat also will destroy an electric pump. If needed add a heat shield, but keep the pump low and near the tank.

Huh. It is in the vicinity of the exhaust, but still like a foot away. That seems like plenty of room to me...would you disagree?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Huh. It is in the vicinity of the exhaust, but still like a foot away. That seems like plenty of room to me...would you disagree?

Yes. You be the judge though. Drive awhile, traffic/ highway what ever, get the truck hot. After an hour reach up between that hot exhaust pipe and touch the pump.

Heat shields do work, for whatever purpose, or the factory would never bother using any.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Will do, once I rebuild or replace the pump. Thanks!

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I have an old no name(on the truck when i bought it) electric pump that’s been running fine(knock on wood) for the three years that I've had it. It sits just the other side of the frame rail from exhaust I can snap a pic at lunch tomorrow if that helps.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My opinion, you probably just got a bad pump, but a heat shield would be cheap insurance. We all know electric pumps should be as close to the tank as possible, but I know a guy with an old jeep that has his pump mounted on the inner fender well, and the pump handles it. He probably replaces his about every 5 years or so from what he has told me. Dirty fuel, to much restriction. Yes, I think I would tend to believe an electric pump would prefer the engine have a return line, but I don't think it's a requirement. Those are my thoughts any how.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure about that pump but generally they like to push the fuel and not pull it so it should be as close to the tanks as possible. I’ve heard of failures from overworking the pump trying to pull fuel all the way to the front of the truck.

I didn't read the thread soooo, but Yep, 2nd post in, this right here would be my piece. Need to have the E pumps as close to the tank as possible for good long life. If you had the pump under the hood, I'd say you likely overworked the pump.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Back in the day on my old street strip truck. I was able to get an E pump out of a pull a part from a carbed ricer car. I did have it hooked up and mounted under the hood. BUT, since they are flow through, it was on a toggle switch and only used when needed and my manual on the block pump was my main pump. That engine ran very warm with that big cam driving in the Los Angeles stop and go traffic. Then I'd stop in the store to get some beer for the long 1.5 hour sitting in traffic drive home, then the truck didn't want to start when I got back in it. VAPOR LOCK !!! So I'd turn on the E pump to push the fuel on through the vapor and it would start right up and then shut the pump back off. It also came in handy when racing to make sure I had enough fuel backing up the manual pump when racing then shut it back off after the race. Then when the manual pump took a dump, I was able to drive full time on the E pump for a few days til I got the manual pump replaced. It was nice having the back up option on a toggle switch.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Praise Jegs. They sent me a new one for free.

reinstalling this weekend. Any suggestions for materials or designs for making an exhaust heat shield?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84