Which Replacement Dash to get (not a cover/dash pad)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well, mabey 3 types. Those that have a better one than the really cracked on but still need it redone like me. But heck at least the one in there now only cost me $10.00! I want to find some vinyl without the cloth backing so I can use my shop vac and a heat gun to vacuum form my own cover. Haven't looked too hard tho.

Sounds like that will work. Better use some hightack upholstery adhesive as well. Spray both the vinyl and the old dash surface too.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Sure thing...glad I could help:) Seems everyone is in the same boat when it comes to the dash. 30 plus years in the Az sun will damn near kill anything, especially plastic and vinyl (it hit 112 today and is expected to reach 114 this week). I certainly didn't want to replace a $400 dash every few years, especially for the crap thats offered out there. The inside temp of my daily driver read 152° at 2pm this afternoon. That's toasty...even for someone who has been dealing with the heat here for almost 35 years now.

Brother I am sweating here in the AC reading those numbers. My truck has no AC so I don't think it would make it very long out there.:)

Twostep

Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Sorry guys...didnt think of taking any progress pics of the dash rebuild. I know, I know....I should have done that to help the fellow square builders out there.

Your interior looks great! Can you also post some pictures of the driver's side of the dash?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Sorry guys...didnt think of taking any progress pics of the dash rebuild. I know, I know....I should have done that to help the fellow square builders out there.

Basically, here is what I did (without pics). :sorry:

1) I chipped away the loose plastic by hand and vacuumed out all loose foam
2) filled in any and all cracks, voids and holes including the speaker holes with body filler a.k.a. bondo. I attached cardboard to the underside of the dash using some self tapping screws to temporarily hold the cardboard in place until the bondo was dry.
3) once the bondo was dry, I sanded down and rough edges and high spots with 80 grit sand paper on a random orbit palm sander so that they would be flush to
the top of the remaining dash vinyl surface.
4) I used some high tack upholstery spray adhesive to attach the tweed fabric. I sprayed the dash, let it set up for 5 mins, then sprayed the backside of the fabric, waited 5 mins, then carefully stretched and pressed the fabric to the dashpad surface. The tricky part is keeping your hands away from the adhesive. Once attached and dry, it won't come off very easily. Patience is key. I have done his once before on another truck years ago with great success. The only difference was the other dash was intact and didnt need rebuilt. I used tweed because it easily contours to the curves, its inexpensive and since there is no real pattern in the stiching, its relatively easy to adhere to almost any surface. My headliner and door panels have also been covered.

I have to say the fabric you've laid down looks much better than I ever would have expected if the idea was just mentioned and I'd pictured it in my head :) Nicely done :waytogo: I'm especially surprised how much I like what you did with the dash. Looks really good.

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L

Basically, here is what I did (without pics). :sorry:

1) I chipped away the loose plastic by hand and vacuumed out all loose foam
2) filled in any and all cracks, voids and holes including the speaker holes with body filler a.k.a. bondo. I attached cardboard to the underside of the dash using some self tapping screws to temporarily hold the cardboard in place until the bondo was dry.
3) once the bondo was dry, I sanded down and rough edges and high spots with 80 grit sand paper on a random orbit palm sander so that they would be flush to
the top of the remaining dash vinyl surface.
4) I used some high tack upholstery spray adhesive to attach the tweed fabric. I sprayed the dash, let it set up for 5 mins, then sprayed the backside of the fabric, waited 5 mins, then carefully stretched and pressed the fabric to the dashpad surface. The tricky part is keeping your hands away from the adhesive. Once attached and dry, it won't come off very easily. Patience is key. I have done his once before on another truck years ago with great success. The only difference was the other dash was intact and didnt need rebuilt. I used tweed because it easily contours to the curves, its inexpensive and since there is no real pattern in the stiching, its relatively easy to adhere to almost any surface. My headliner and door panels have also been covered.

I think I'm going to have to try something like this

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I think I'm going to have to try something like this

Make sure to take plenty of pics for the rest of us to look at. I think several of us will be waiting to see how you did it and the results. Best of luck to you.:):popcorn:

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Sure thing...glad I could help:) Seems everyone is in the same boat when it comes to the dash. 30 plus years in the Az sun will damn near kill anything, especially plastic and vinyl (it hit 112 today and is expected to reach 114 this week). I certainly didn't want to replace a $400 dash every few years, especially for the crap thats offered out there. The inside temp of my daily driver read 152° at 2pm this afternoon. That's toasty...even for someone who has been dealing with the heat here for almost 35 years now.
Where did you get the tweed? Im live in Phoenix as well.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Where did you get the tweed? Im live in Phoenix as well.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

H&R Sales for the tweed fabric and the spray adhesive (I used their private label adhesive). The shop is loacted just off of the I-10 and 35th Avenue approximately one block South of the I-10. A sales rep at H&R Sales referred me to the shop that rebuilt and upholstered my bench seat as well.

Another good source for auto upholstery is Temp Sales off of Southern near Mill Ave. In Tempe. Tempe Sales also has a variety of oem lap seatbelts....and cheap!

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Your interior looks great! Can you also post some pictures of the driver's side of the dash?

Here are some more pics of my dash.....drivers side...

I have also included pics of the rest of the interior. I also wrapppd the back of the cab behind the seat, below the rear windao and the headliner too. I kinda went crazy with the stuff...lol

Last edited:

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That looks great - thanks for sharing!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That came out bitchin.:cheers:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks gentlemen !

I am beginning to pursue my next project truck, but not sure if I am ready to sell this one.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Please keep us updated on the new project. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members