Which carb would you recommend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If mileage is of any concern then the Q-Jet is the only way to go..

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A properly tuned Quadrajet would be my choice for your druthers. The trick is, properly tuned.

As for which Quadrajet, I would talk to Sean Murphy at SMI, and get one from him specifically set up for your build. He will want to know the intake manifold, the exhaust, the displacement, the camshaft, the heads. Then he will build the correct Quadrajet for you. There are lots of little air bleeds and such in the carb that GM set up for each engine at the factory. You can't just bolt one on and expect best results.

What Sean Murphy doesn't know about Quadrajets isn't known by anybody.

https://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/28/sfID2/9

Mark (Quadrajet Power) on this forum will custom tune a Quadrajet for you as well. See his reply above. I don't know Mark, but others have said good things.

The point being, don't buy a generic Quadrajet or get one from a junkyard or something. There's more to it than that, and you need someone who knows what he's doing unless you've been around the block a couple times and are willing to experiment. And have a good wideband A/FR meter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly