Wheel back space

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtybirdjake

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi first time posting.
Looking to get new wheels for my k10. Have crappy 10” wide wheels with spent tires so I’m trying to get a new setup before winter comes around. I have read elsewhere that a 4” backspace wheel will fit without hitting anything. However the wheels that I have on now measure 3.75 backspace and are within a quarter in of touching the tierod. Close enough that I can’t put regular clip on weights because they will hit the tierod. So if I put a 4”bs wheel I would assume there would be clearance issues.
I have one old original rally wheel and the bs also measures 3.75
So does anyone know from experience what backspace will actually work without touching the tierod on a 83 4x4?

thanks for anything

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You pretty much answered your own question. For the rim diameter you are measuring against. Presume 15 or 16".
If you increase the rim diameter, the bead area will get further away from the tie rod by half the distance of the size change. 1" bigger rim will gain you 1/2". Rim style, like an alloy with thicker material will affect the actual gain of course.
Sounds like 4" bs is the max. Can you clearance the tie rod a bit with a grinder if necessary (not recommending this per-se)?
Plenty of these trucks rolling around on 16x10s that don't look like brodozers so you should be able to get a 16x10 to fit.
Question is, do you need that wide of a rim. For 12-12.5" wide tires, 8" rims work, not ideal for heavy loads IMO but look ok and function ok. 9" is better and 10" is ideal.
If you're running 10-11" wide tires, 8-9" wide rims are ideal.
Hope this helps.

Dirtybirdjake

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yah I was actually looking to go smaller width Probably should have said that lol. I’m looking for around 16x8 with normal a/t tires. I don’t like the wide tires for rain and snow and this is my daily.
I think you’re right tho because I’m going from thick aluminum wheels to probably regular black steelys so I might be just right. Thanks

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
i have 16x8 on my truck with a 315/75R16 (35") tall. back spacing is at 4" any less back spacing you have tires sticking out from body line.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetz73