What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well that's a plus. :lol:

I don't know bro, crate motor, no major problems you can find except the gear ratio, I just think comparing that truck to a 20 year newer one with a smaller motor blowing your doors off pulling a trailer is just a fact of life.

Is the trans shifting fine? It downshifts right for the hill climb? Oh, you 3 speed right?

spartman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well that's a plus. :lol:

I don't know bro, crate motor, no major problems you can find except the gear ratio, I just think comparing that truck to a 20 year newer one with a smaller motor blowing your doors off pulling a trailer is just a fact of life.

Is the trans shifting fine? It downshifts right for the hill climb? Oh, you 3 speed right?

i know it would never be as quick as a new truck, Ive lived round these old beaters all my life.

I do however know that this truck is weak, as is it isnt even as good as the 79 it replaced that had 200,00 miles on it.

I would love to be able to at least have more take off than an early 80's 6.2 diesel with an auto.
My cousin had one and it barely beat a metro on take off.

That was a sad sad night.:bawl::bawl:

If I can at least get this truck to functional power with a reasonable mpg between 10-15 Id be happier than a cowboy in a w)(&&house on freebie friday.

spartman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im not against sticking a 4 speed stick in it either if it needs it.

I believe all trucks should have stickshifts in em.

Im building my 67 F-100 with the 240 six cyl with the T-18 tranny and 3.70 gears. I know she wont be a speed demon, but she will be a truck and should get somewhat decent mileage according to the fellers on fordsix.com

spartman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh and if I could get the compression up in that 350 Id consider running propane in it.

Our propane dealer was offering contracts for fuel this winter at 1.38 a gallon for home use.

Thats mighty tempting even if it goes up to 1.75 or so for road use, and the 25% hit in mpg.

spartman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh also while Im rambling, I almost gave up this truck to drive a 52 6400 2 1/2 ton chevy truck as my daily driver.

To bad I couldnt get a title for it and it needed more work than this one does. :(

Now theres slow and underpowered for ya. LOL

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
After ready all the things you've typed I'm also going to side on the vaccuum issue side. My gears are a weak 3.08 but my truck is actually pretty quick even with those gears in and I, too, have a 350 crate motor. It's got a 650 cfm Holley on it and is rated at 330hp (flywheel) and my tranny is just a built th350 with B&M shift kit. Nothing special but the truck will get up an go when you hit the skinny pedal. Once I get better gears in it I'll be excited to see what it does.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sorry I'm so late, thanks for the info on modding intakes for Vortec heads, good to know. I went from 3.73s in my truck to 5.13s and it felt like someone dropped a new motor in it when I wasn't looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB