What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Finally broke down and bought a sandblaster, wanted a soda blaster, but went with what I know something about, lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now you need one of those tent garage things... and tarp the floor with the tarp running up the sides a bit. You can catch and reuse your medium.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
M18 1/2 impact.

Oh **** my face off...

Yeah I want one of dem really bad.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Well, my crapsman 19.2v screw gun and my hammer drill finally bit the bullet so instead of just buying another one to keep my set full like I've done for the past 15 years, I decided to change direction with cordless kits. Here is what I started with, DeWalt brushless hammer drill, impact driver and 1/2" drill driver with 2 of the 5AH batteries. So far the only thing that makes me want several more batteries is how long it takes to charge a battery from one light to full charge, seemed like it was about 3 hours.

If you're not driving 4" #10 deck screws all day long non-stop, you can pretty much get away with three batteries, one always on the charger.
The brushless use less power and batts last longer, but be careful outside in the rain. The non-brushed will run under water basically and the brushless..
they will take a **** of they get wet.
Also, try to run the battery down until it doesn;t work. This happens fast anyway so be careful. These batts don't like getting run dry. Your brushless units might not let them go to that point anyway, I'm not sure. The old nicad batteries need to be fully discharged from time to time to maximize their life, but not the new lith batteries.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
$5.00 at a yard sale yesterday!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Wow! You won't find anything like that at a yard sale around here. Great score!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Finally broke down and bought a sandblaster, wanted a soda blaster, but went with what I know something about, lol.

I use my sand blaster with soda, glass beads and crushed walnut shells. Works great!

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had been itching for some cordless tools recently. I tried a craftsman in the early days of cordless tools and hated it so bad I swore them off until now. I had helped a couple friends do a little construction and cordless is the way to go now. So in the hopes of buy once cry once I dropped some cash on a set of milwaukee fuel m18 tools. Got an impact, hammer drill, circular saw, sawzall, oscillating tool and a light. So far I am really impressed and have found myself actively looking for reasons to use them now.

Also grabbed a compound miter saw at an auction for 15 bucks and a pto powered wood chipper that was considerably higher than the rest of it. So far so good.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I had been itching for some cordless tools recently. I tried a craftsman in the early days of cordless tools and hated it so bad I swore them off until now. I had helped a couple friends do a little construction and cordless is the way to go now. So in the hopes of buy once cry once I dropped some cash on a set of milwaukee fuel m18 tools. Got an impact, hammer drill, circular saw, sawzall, oscillating tool and a light. So far I am really impressed and have found myself actively looking for reasons to use them now.

Also grabbed a compound miter saw at an auction for 15 bucks and a pto powered wood chipper that was considerably higher than the rest of it. So far so good.

You chose wisely! I love Milwaukee tools. They are the only tool I will ever buy for myself. I bought a set of Craftsman 20v the other day for work tools and the chuck shaft was already wobbly after a week.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You chose wisely! I love Milwaukee tools. They are the only tool I will ever buy for myself. I bought a set of Craftsman 20v the other day for work tools and the chuck shaft was already wobbly after a week.
The drill I had was so early the battery wasn't removable. I used it once and the charger port corroded and I couldn't charge it again. Bought corded tools from that day forward. We were putting metal roof on though and that cord was such a pita. While my friends laughed at me... They had dewalt tools which I strongly considered but they have so many grades of tools it's hard to tell if you are getting a good one. That and I didn't want my crap mixed up with theirs. They are telling me I made a mistake not getting dewalt but I think they are jealous lol.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I owned DeWalt tools before I bought Milwaukee. They are good until you use Milwaukee. I look at it this way, DeWalt is good for wood, Milwaukee for metal (and wood lol). If you're drilling a hole and the bit gets caught the DeWalt will stop, the Milwaukee will break your wrist. I love my tools. Here's what I have at work. I have about this many at home too.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
M18 1/2 impact.
Nice! Think it can twist a lug stud off? That's a bit of torque, make a great wrecking yard wrench for taking the tires once they are off the ground instead of convincing Billy-Bob to wedge his ass under the tire to stop it from turning, lol.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would like to have a grinder and impact like yours. This is my set tossed on the kitchen table. Currently undergoing a surprise basement remodel. :disgust:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Stuff I'll actually use, a couple of Mac pry bars and a non brand 2 lb dead blow hammer - no pics, nothing exciting.

Then there's this -

I recently got this wood band saw that belonged to my grandfather (career carpenter), it's been sitting for close to 30 years and I wanted to try and convert it to cut metal. I didn't know anything about it and just remembered it was there when I was a pesky kid in the 70's. It turns out to be a 1930's Walker Turner "snowflake" saw, really cool! It's in good working order except for bearings in the electric motor, a belt and maintenance stuff. No more plans to convert it, I'm just going to clean it up and keep it.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Stuff I'll actually use, a couple of Mac pry bars and a non brand 2 lb dead blow hammer - no pics, nothing exciting.

Then there's this -

I recently got this wood band saw that belonged to my grandfather (career carpenter), it's been sitting for close to 30 years and I wanted to try and convert it to cut metal. I didn't know anything about it and just remembered it was there when I was a pesky kid in the 70's. It turns out to be a 1930's Walker Turner "snowflake" saw, really cool! It's in good working order except for bearings in the electric motor, a belt and maintenance stuff. No more plans to convert it, I'm just going to clean it up and keep it.

That's a sweet little saw, almost like a scroll saw with that narrow blade. In order to cut metal you would need to slow it way down, and then discover the blade guide is too flexy for pushing through metal anyway. So good idea, leave it as is, enjoy cutting curvy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84