What is the best oil to run in 1984 C10 with high-milage stock 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
What the best oil to run in a high-mileage (120k+) 1984 C10 with stock 305? I have seen in Facebook Group that many suggesting Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil and others saying not necessary to do so. I live in New England where summers can get hot. Putting diesel motor oil in a gas engine seems odd to me... I have also heard to just use conventional 10w-40.

Thanks

Last edited:

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Any 15w-40 store brand or what ever for a diesel should do just fine. Have run it for years in my truck and my '59 Ford with no problems.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ive ran 5/30 or 10/30 in my truck since 1977. 77 k10 350 engine loves it.Havoline or castrol is what Ive always ran.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I run Rotella in mine. It has been a blessing. 165k miles smooth running still- only need valve guide seals...

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
10-30 any brand, change it every 3000 miles.

Thank you... a mechanic suggested 10w-40 and I did it today... now the motor has a small sound almost like a diesel motor. Like it sounds like a faint, diesel engine sound... should I drain and go with 10-30?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Honestly run whatever the owner's manual calls for or what the oil cap says (if new enough). 10w-30 should be fine for most normal scenarios. If the engine burns excessive oil you might consider running thicker oil to slow oil consumption like 10-40 or 15-40, or even 20-50 in extreme cases, but that's usually as an engine is on its way out already. With a good running engine just run what's supposed to be in there, choose a high quality oil like Castrol if it makes you feel better. Running a thicker oil actually just makes your engine work harder/lose power, and doesn't lubricate as well because it can't get into as tight of spaces. The important thing is changing the oil and filter regularly every 2500-3000 miles (I know the user's manual said it's okay to change the oil every hundred million miles or whatever but go figure GM engines have a problem with rings as they get older would've thought... ::rolls eyes:: ). The whole shell Rotella thing is overblown IMO. It's a good oil and all, but it's non detergent oil being for diesels and all. If you have some super old fashioned engine made out of old metals and it's already in need of some love it is probably helpful, and it's also really good to run in motorcycles that have a wet clutch believe it or not (the detergents break down the friction material and make the clutch slip, almost all diesel oil is safe for bikes). But for a regular SBC there's no advantage to running a non-detergent oil, those detergents are in it for a reason they keep your engine cleaner. If you're not running some POS that's chugging oil and blowing smoke, just run regular oil

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thank you... a mechanic suggested 10w-40 and I did it today... now the motor has a small sound almost like a diesel motor. Like it sounds like a faint, diesel engine sound... should I drain and go with 10-30?
I probably would. If you're hearing the engine tick with thicker oil it's probably not lubricating as well. Honestly I doubt that simply switching from 30 to 40 weight oil would be enough to make valve chatter, it's probably all in your head especially while it's warm out, but it certainly won't hurt to put the right oil back in there, it is cheap enough to do too. Don't worry about changing the filter if it's already brand new, simply dropping and refilling the oil will be plenty good enough

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
What was the OAT (Outside Air Temperature) in Boston today? The reason I specified 10-30 is that is the recommended oil weight in my 1986 Chevy Truck Owners Manual.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What the best oil to run in a high-mileage (120k+) 1984 C10 with stock 305? I have seen in Facebook Group that many suggesting Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil and others saying not necessary to do so. I live in New England where summers can get hot. Putting diesel motor oil in a gas engine seems odd to me... I have also heard to just use conventional 10w-40.

Thanks
I would use 15w40 but not the synthetic. People use it cause these are flat tappet motors and they need zinc. The EPA requires less zinc in oil now but diesel has more still, like the levels normal oil use to contain. You don't have VVT or anything so it doesn't need that thin oil to work right like a modem engine so the thicker oil will not harm anything and will help really. Your engine does not know it's "diesel oil" or regular oil for that matter, it's just oil to the engine and it will be happy.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your paranoid, it's not the oil:Big Laugh::Big Laugh:. I'm not saying your engine is not knocking or whatever, but the oil has no effect on what your hearing.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Honestly run whatever the owner's manual calls for or what the oil cap says (if new enough). 10w-30 should be fine for most normal scenarios. If the engine burns excessive oil you might consider running thicker oil to slow oil consumption like 10-40 or 15-40, or even 20-50 in extreme cases, but that's usually as an engine is on its way out already. With a good running engine just run what's supposed to be in there, choose a high quality oil like Castrol if it makes you feel better. Running a thicker oil actually just makes your engine work harder/lose power, and doesn't lubricate as well because it can't get into as tight of spaces. The important thing is changing the oil and filter regularly every 2500-3000 miles (I know the user's manual said it's okay to change the oil every hundred million miles or whatever but go figure GM engines have a problem with rings as they get older would've thought... ::rolls eyes:: ). The whole shell Rotella thing is overblown IMO. It's a good oil and all, but it's non detergent oil being for diesels and all. If you have some super old fashioned engine made out of old metals and it's already in need of some love it is probably helpful, and it's also really good to run in motorcycles that have a wet clutch believe it or not (the detergents break down the friction material and make the clutch slip, almost all diesel oil is safe for bikes). But for a regular SBC there's no advantage to running a non-detergent oil, those detergents are in it for a reason they keep your engine cleaner. If you're not running some POS that's chugging oil and blowing smoke, just run regular oil
You sure about that? I think rotella is detergent. And high in it. It would need this to keep all those soot particles in suspension otherwise it would turn to thick sludge in the engine. Soot is what turns diesel oil black.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Some diesel oils are spec SN and that is what lots of passenger vehicles are spec'd for.Of course diesel oil contains detergent.In freezing temps dont run 15/40.Run a 5/30 or a 10/30 in that 305.You can even run a straight 30wt in temps above 32° for that matter.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I run Amsoil z-rod 10w30 in everything that's in our garage. New filter every year, oil cange after 5000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli