What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My 76 before I hopped the engine up I had it based at 11-12 and never gave me any issues. After the engine hop up I have it around 13-14 degrees with 9.0:1 compression and have always ran it on 87 octane. Total timing should be around 35. Have put my foot to the floor many times and have brought it up to its "redline" (5500) and have not shot the pistons out of the headers yet.

So you should be safe at 12 degrees. If you haven't yet already, I would check your mechanical advance and get a curve kit and play with the springs and see if it goes better with a different advance curve

Gonna play with it again tonight - I had one other thought. I did not disconnect the vacuum advance when I checked the timing, so what if the new switch is actually advancing it and I have the base timing too low ?

Typical man - read the service manual after I installed the TVS. 120 INCH pounds - I did not ooooof it, but I bet it is in there tighter than that. Easy to do w/o trying with a 1-1/4" wrench ...

May back it off a bit today, but the EFE works - verified this AM, so may not as the switch is working.

'KnowwhatImean,Vern ? " :D

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
HILARIOUS!

Nobody thought you were playin around, @Catbox was just AFK a minute, settle down Beavis. :cool:

You're the only guy in that line.....lmao

:oops:

*crickets*
:893karatesmiley-thu
I cant help that i love the paddle mirrors and im lookin for the long stems

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Nosir but only because I thought you were joking..lol...was laughing WITH you..Lmk if i can help.:)
Very serious though... im like stevie wonder and ray charles combined when it comes to ANY kind of electronics or electrical systems issues.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Does that mean you can play a mean piano and sing? Just kidding!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
None of the above lol. I like to sing when alone or in the shower but.... simply meaning im blind AF to electrical. Im a tard.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I joined this forum because of good information that I read, and the mutual respect most members have towards one another. Little bit of poking fun okay too. I'm pretty well versed in electrical and willing to assist when I can.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I joined this forum because of good information that I read, and the mutual respect most members have towards one another. Little bit of poking fun okay too. I'm pretty well versed in electrical and willing to assist when I can.

Thank you! As well as thank you to @Rusty Nail for offering help also! Thats also why i joined, Ive come to know alot of good people on here! Very knowledgable and friendly and always willing to help! Hence why im proud to wear my GMSB decal on my truck and promote to square owners i meet. My girlfriend calls this my facebook because im always on here and posting something lol

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Persistent and stubborn, but not a good proponent of the scientific method.

What that means is I changed more than one thing at a time.

Thing 1: Backed the TVS off a turn. My thinking was that hydraulic cartridge valves can bind if installed too tight, so maybe this could, too. Plus, 10 ft lbs ain't jack ...

Thing 2: Rehooked the vacuum lines on the distributor check EXACTLY the way the schematic showed. Which just means I moved both of the top ones to the bottom, and vice versa. Easy to reverse if needed.

Thing 3: Checked timing with the vaccuum advance unplugged. Wow, was it retarded. Bumped to OE setting ( for now :naughty: ) of 8 BTDC.

Way mo better. :waytogo:

That raised the idle speed, so I turned that down a bit although if I adjust it to @legopnuematic settings I may have to tweak it again.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Tackled the water pump on my 6.5 swapped square. Not sure why they decided it needed to be bolted to the backside of the timing cover [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That might explain that. I have an 80. I also have an AC cab. Well I will again when I get a new compressor and fix all that back.

I still think the blower switch is messed up cause I am thinking my speed doesn't change with the position.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you! As well as thank you to @Rusty Nail for offering help also! Thats also why i joined, Ive come to know alot of good people on here! Very knowledgable and friendly and always willing to help! Hence why im proud to wear my GMSB decal on my truck and promote to square owners i meet. My girlfriend calls this my facebook because im always on here and posting something lol
I was on forums before Facebook. Still not on Facebook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS