What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You know, I see this happening more and more. When I was growing up and getting interested in cars, it was all I did through jr high and high school. The cars I grew up with were all carburated, and I was turning wrenches before I had my license. It seems that now, a lot of younger people want to get into the older vehicles, but they don't fully understand what is going to be involved, and get discouraged easily. I don't know if it's just the differences in the generations, where they grew up with fuel injection and modern electronics. But it puzzles me because when I grew up, the car guys were pretty easy to identify, now it seems as though people just decide they're going to jump in to the old car world without any real idea what's involved. Not saying this to be offensive, but rather wondering if I'm the only one who sees it?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
You know, I see this happening more and more. When I was growing up and getting interested in cars, it was all I did through jr high and high school. The cars I grew up with were all carburated, and I was turning wrenches before I had my license. It seems that now, a lot of younger people want to get into the older vehicles, but they don't fully understand what is going to be involved, and get discouraged easily. I don't know if it's just the differences in the generations, where they grew up with fuel injection and modern electronics. But it puzzles me because when I grew up, the car guys were pretty easy to identify, now it seems as though people just decide they're going to jump in to the old car world without any real idea what's involved. Not saying this to be offensive, but rather wondering if I'm the only one who sees it?

I think there is some truth to what you are saying. I also think the internet is also to blame as well. I go to ebay and look at the trucks for sale and what they are asking pricewise. I will admit to seeing some good looking trucks there. I think the younger guys see this as well. They think boy I would like that. So they start looking for one.

I also think the price and style of the new lifted trucks have also played a big part as well. Who is buying these trucks? They are really expensive. This is the main reason I think the old trucks are going up in price and demand.

As far as having the knowledge to work on these truck trucks go, this website and others contribute to keeping these old trucks going. I never had a really good resource such as the internet back in the day. I think it is really great that these websites, along with their people and references, are here.

Say what you want about the younger generation but there is one thing about them you can't deny. They know where to go to get the good and right info and they aren't shy about using it either. I feel like some of these guys are my kids and I know some of you regular guys feel the same way. We have to help them whenever they need it. Bottom line. :)

Sorry for the long post.:sorry:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Your not. Like you I was wrenching before I could drive and carbs were the norm. It's hard to mix a project in with life especially when it's your DD. My square has never been my only ride. My first square only cost me around $2000.00 to own for 16 years and it was in driving condition 99% of the time. I had more time than money then and as they say time IS money. One thing I have noticed is there is way more info available via the web today then back when I was learning this stuff.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Only had one truck before this, rebuilt old bbc 366s with my neighbor, I just can't afford to keep driving it on ohio roads, they've destroyed anything that was nice on it by rattling it loose lol
If I wasn't in school I wouldn't have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think there is some truth to what you are saying. I also think the internet is also to blame as well. I go to ebay and look at the trucks for sale and what they are asking pricewise. I will admit to seeing some good looking trucks there. I think the younger guys see this as well. They think boy I would like that. So they start looking for one.

I also think the price and style of the new lifted trucks have also played a big part as well. Who is buying these trucks? They are really expensive. This is the main reason I think the old trucks are going up in price and demand.

As far as having the knowledge to work on these truck trucks go, this website and others contribute to keeping these old trucks going. I never had a really good resource such as the internet back in the day. I think it is really great that these websites, along with their people and references, are here.

Say what you want about the younger generation but there is one thing about them you can't deny. They know where to go to get the good and right info and they aren't shy about using it either. I feel like some of these guys are my kids and I know some of you regular guys feel the same way. We have to help them whenever they need it. Bottom line. :)

Sorry for the long post.:sorry:

You're right about the internet. It is an invaluable resource for something like this. Perhaps that's what really stands out to me. Growing up, learning the basics like a lot of us did, versus now being able to jump into something like this, and be able to reach out and get near instant information, without a lot of background in it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Only had one truck before this, rebuilt old bbc 366s with my neighbor, I just can't afford to keep driving it on ohio roads, they've destroyed anything that was nice on it by rattling it loose lol
If I wasn't in school I wouldn't have a problem

You've learned what many tried to tell me when I was the same age. If only I had listened, and got an econo beater instead of trying to dd a toy, I'd have some really nice toys now.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Indiana is so much better lol
Hardly ever hit any holes, which is sad that I live on back roads and the city roads are worse than gravel...idk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You can see the rebar in the bottom of most of the potholes getting on the express way up here.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Here too, if it's not tore up from construction, idk which is worth

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
You can see the rebar in the bottom of most of the potholes getting on the express way up here.

Hah that's nothing. You can see brick from the old days under some of the old roads in our city!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hah that's nothing. You can see brick from the old days under some of the old roads in our city!

Downtown Flint used to be that way. Then they gave up, and took it all back down to the bricks.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
New rebuilt engine.

Just installed and fired up a rebuilt engine in my 81 C10. Sweet!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpg
    IMG_4639.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53