What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Don't like anybody much?.....maybe it's you?

Yeah I definitely don't like guys with "LET'S F***" tattoos on their hands, bald-faced liars, and junkyard goons who casually talk about murdering people and hiding their bodies in their junkyard. But you're right - I'm definitely the "bad guy" for expecting a modicum of common decency from mechanics.

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've never met a mechanic that is completely "trustworthy". Not saying they aren't out there, they just seem to be few and far between. That being said, I have done a lot of business with this place over the years. Not like that means much these days, but still. And the repairs do need to be done. I wobbled the wheels around myself when it was up on the lift and observed the bushings crumbling to dust. And it might be there longer than Monday. Today I decided that while it was getting work done under there I might as well get a whole bunch of stuff taken care of that I had on my "To Do List", anyway. So, the work order looks like this now:

• gearbox
  • upper and lower ball joints
  • sway bar
  • sway bar rubber bushings
  • brake job
  • 4X new leaf springs
  • 4X new shocks
  • new steering stabilizer
I just bought this thing a month ago yesterday.

I still have 3 or 4 more things I need to get done to it after this. Gotta do a valve seal job to try and eliminate the smoking at startup, get and exhaust leak fixed and install 2X Flowmaster Series 70 mufflers, get some electrical issues worked on, then install a new stereo. After that I can hopefully concentrate on some interior and exterior work I have planned. Need to adjust the carb too as it seems to be running a little rich.

Today I spent the afternoon cleaning up the back seat that came with this thing. It wasn't in the truck when I bought it. Instead it had been sitting under a pole barn for God only knows how long. Previous owner had a gravel driveway so it was covered in that nasty wind-blown silt. Some squirrels had been stashing acorns and hickory nuts inside it LOL. I removed the vinyl bottom, vacuumed out all the trash, vacuumed the cloth, cleaned the vinyl up, and dowsed it in Febreeze. I still might hit it with a carpet cleaner tomorrow.

Here is the finished seat:

You must be registered for see images attach
Wow that's going to get expensive NOT doing anything yourself!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you sir, never knew that. :cheers:
It is a bypass hose, needed to maintain a water circulation through the block, so it warms the block evenly while the t'stat is closed.
Another misconception with thermostats, is when people remove them to overcome heating issues. They are also there to provide a static head pressure on the pump or in other words a pressure differential, to force the water throughout the entire block and not take the least path of resistance. For what it's worth, just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
There also there to help the water move a certain speed through the radiator so that it can cool the water. If it moves too fast it also can have a negative effect. I had seen either people talk about it or have seen videos to prove the effect.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Wow that's going to get expensive NOT doing anything yourself!

Yeah, probably.

All that work at a shop will come close to the value of the truck or purchase price??

Well, since I only paid $1,500 for this shitbox, yeah, it will definitely end up being more than I paid for it. I have wanted a K5 since I was in high school and I don't ever plan on selling it. It's not going to be cheap but it's not going restore itself so someone's gotta do it.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, probably.

Well, since I only paid $1,500 for this shitbox, yeah, it will definitely end up being more than I paid for it. I have wanted a K5 since I was in high school and I don't ever plan on selling it. It's not going to be cheap but it's not going restore itself so someone's gotta do it.
Sounds like you got a deal on it!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah I definitely don't like guys with "LET'S F***" tattoos on their hands, bald-faced liars, and junkyard goons who casually talk about murdering people and hiding their bodies in their junkyard. But you're right - I'm definitely the "bad guy" for expecting a modicum of common decency from mechanics.

I gotta jump on this one.

I am not a mechanical idiot, but I am not an engine rebuilder, either.

So, if I go to a mechanic I am going ( usually ) because I don't know what the problem is, or I feel it is beyond my skill level and paying someone that knows how (carb rebuild, trans rebuild ), or some combo there of makes sense.

So -

When the trans was puking fluid into the transfer case on Goldie last year, and I knew I did not have the strength, or desire, to fark with it in the driveway, I took it to my transmission guy.

Fixed right the 1st time for a reasonable price.

Cool.

I had some weird front end issues since I have had the truck, and got sick of it.

Took it to the mechanics that did the engine on the wifes truck.

Lots of experimenting, a big bill, and in the end someone taking care to do a good alignment did the most.

What I wanted ? Caster shims.

What I got was a guy telling me that among other things was that my steering column was all worn out.

Umm, okay - I politely laughed and explained that I used to rebuild these for a living and that there were 4 bolts that needed tightening and I was just too lazy to get to it yet.

It's that kind of stuff that pisses me off- that "worn out column" (not) has zero effect on how the front end feels.

It was , however, an attempt to suck more money out of a customer that apparently had been deemed a cash cow.

:flame:

Don't ******** me.

If there is a real problem, tell me.

If there is something down the road that needs to be addressed, advise me.

Other than that, fix the 1 problem that I brought it in for, treat me right, and in the end you will probably get more down the road business than if you played games initially.

My transmission guy?

Yeah - he's got whatever business I need to give him for as long as he is open.

The others ?

Maybe.

What if I did not have a column background?

You can't paint all people with the same brush, but you have to sort through a fair amount of **** to find the gold mine when dealing with people in general.

******, that may be my longest rambling post here yet ...

:emotions33:l

:D

Long story - I can see both sides.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Sounds like you got a deal on it!

I wouldn't say that. It just freed up a little money off the top to get some new parts and work done to it. The paint job will probably cost more than I paid for it, too.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My spare keys came in from Classic Industries- I spent a little extra as I could not tell if the LMC keys had the GM logo.

And, I thought maybe I would save on the UPS charges as I remember LMC being spendy.

Well.

Look closely- Kustom Kwality!
I will use them, though.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
My spare keys came in from Classic Industries- I spent a little extra as I could not tell if the LMC keys had the GM logo.

And, I thought maybe I would save on the UPS charges as I remember LMC being spendy.

Well.

Look closely- Kustom Kwality!
I will use them, though.

I got a set like these off eBay a week or so ago. I took them to Lowe's and they cut them for free. I didn't know this, but apparently their cutting service is free they just assume you'll buy your key blanks from them. I even tried to tip the guy a few bucks but he wouldn't take it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
OK not a square, a mini square, not mine. This is my Grandson, Kooper's that has become a family project. I bought it.$300, got it running, then my son, Kooper's uncle did the body and paint work with the help of my Daughter and SIL's help. We like it , although it is a fiat(dogde) color, dark charcoal with the Camaro Synergy Green stripes. Not totally done.socks holding the windows, no inner door panels yet, but the kid is HAPPY, see pic
Does he wanta paint mine?!!! Lol looking good!

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I broke both the passenger and driver side clips on the plastic piece that covers the two headlights. Broke both sides because I forgot which headlight was out until I broke the first one, so I put it back on and proceeded to break the correct one.

Next I also broke the fragile bottom of it too to make sure it looks extra bad...

Oh yeah I replaced a headlight too :)

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got a set like these off eBay a week or so ago. I took them to Lowe's and they cut them for free. I didn't know this, but apparently their cutting service is free they just assume you'll buy your key blanks from them. I even tried to tip the guy a few bucks but he wouldn't take it.
I had a vehicle key done once and they did the same. They don't have a way to charge you. You buy the key from them and they cut it free. I would 9fbpaid a dollar or so for it and told the guy, he said don't worry about it .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard