What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Pulled valve covers, cleaned and new gasket's, then learned how to readjust the lifters (it needed) then had a good freind come and make sure i was doing it all right and he noticed my carb throttle plate was not re-bushed when it was rebuilt........sum bitch i was hot, found a shop to do it for me but going to be 2 weeks! soooo 2 weeks without a square for Kapdin. :( Gives me time to fix my rear brakes, steering colum, oil filter change, and my buddy also noticed my egr valve was not hooked up but still on and we had to pull it off to get the valve cover off and it looked like hell (packed with carbon) so made a block off plate and got a gasket.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Man that sucks. Did you just have it rebuilt? OR was that someone else. I think we had that conversaton if your guy was going to bush it or not..

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
yes, that was our convo, and i guess i was under the empression this guy knew to do that but guess thats not standard practice now a days cus its not in the kits......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That really suxks. Cuz that is a common problem on Qjets. There is no sense in rebuilding one if you're not going to bush it. It's pretty much required. That and Epoxy the well plugs. That's why I don't rebuild Qjets UNLESS they've been bushed before. Rebuilding Q Jet 101, is FIRST thing you do is jiggle the throttle shaft and 9x of 10, it will be loose and causing a vac leak. 2nd thing is plan on epoxy for the well plugs. Neither of those first 2 important things are covered or supplied in a rebuild kit.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Hooked up the filler tube for my 20 gallon tank and filled er' up. Took 20.5 gallons for the first fill. I switched to that tank, primed the pump once, and she fired right up. No hesitation or stumbles while cruising down the road and switching tanks.

I also installed my tach...twice.

First time, I was brain dead and hose clamped it to the column...after all, that's what I did in my brother's 1970. Durrr...Squarebody columns rotate when you shift, so that won't work. Ended up installing it up in the corner by the windshield on the dash pad like I had it in my 87' anyway. I missed seeing my RPMs.

Installed like dis', except I was able to tuck the wiring more neatly since I removed the dashpad:

You must be registered for see images

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
First time, I was brain dead and hose clamped it to the column...after all, that's what I did in my brother's 1970. Durrr...Squarebody columns rotate when you shift, so that won't work.

AHahahahaha. :roflbow:

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I had a coolant leak I thought it was coming out of the thermostat housing gasket, so I replaced the gasket, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses. Ran it the next day and realized it was coming out of that damn hose going from the top of the water pump to the intake manifold. That thing was a bitch to replace. I think I was wiggling and cursing it for about an hour before I got it on. Runs like a liquid cooled tank now!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I took a look at the oil filter I removed the other day (forgot to before)... it's not good. Everything was coated with a graphite looking substance and there were little gold specks peppered all around.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was busy today. ABout the time I got to start working on my heat box, it got dark. I did get to test the new heater core though. I wasn't going to use it, but I noticed the one I was going to use, had a bit of crimp in the elbow where the hose connected. I want all the flow I can get there, so I'm using the one I got from PAP. Got the vacuum lines figured out to retrofit the OLDER air dizzy that I got from PAP. I didn't want that plastic single piece ****. Also chased all the threads to the new studs I got from PAP too, so I'll be able to use all the OEM stuff going thru cab and nuttin on the firewall side just like OEM. So tonight, I'll finish cleaning the box, mounting the heat core, and at daylight, the air distributor will be ready to go in, and while I've got it, out think I'm going to install a manual Temp guage and all new coolant.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Added gas today ran out i am used to dual tanks w/ the old ford. the gas gauge on the c20 means empty not enough to get to the station like i thought lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was busy today. ABout the time I got to start working on my heat box, it got dark. I did get to test the new heater core though. I wasn't going to use it, but I noticed the one I was going to use, had a bit of crimp in the elbow where the hose connected. I want all the flow I can get there, so I'm using the one I got from PAP. Got the vacuum lines figured out to retrofit the OLDER air dizzy that I got from PAP. I didn't want that plastic single piece ****. Also chased all the threads to the new studs I got from PAP too, so I'll be able to use all the OEM stuff going thru cab and nuttin on the firewall side just like OEM. So tonight, I'll finish cleaning the box, mounting the heat core, and at daylight, the air distributor will be ready to go in, and while I've got it, out think I'm going to install a manual Temp guage and all new coolant.

You sticking with the factory studs huh? You got a seal for the fire wall? Did you adjust the defrost door? What is different about the vacuum setups between the 2? Did you know there is a vacuum diaphragm under the wiper cowl, outside the cab in the right corner? I learned that sucker was hidden under there checking out stripped trucks at PAP. :popcorn:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, I have all good OE studs. Not sure why I'd adjust the defrost door? Do I need to? Are you sure the cowl diaphram isn't for the wiper washers to squirt? There is also a Vac amplifier many times called a vac ball. It's purpose is to store vacuum and make it stronger and have it at hand instantly.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don;t know, mine may be different. But I was able to adjust it and got a lot better flow to the windshield. Which I need since I got no a/c to dry the air.

I'll have to look at that cowl again next trip and get some pics. I was really surprised to see that sucker hidden in there. I think it has something to do with the fresh air/recirc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don;t know, mine may be different. But I was able to adjust it and got a lot better flow to the windshield. Which I need since I got no a/c to dry the air.

I'll have to look at that cowl again next trip and get some pics. I was really surprised to see that sucker hidden in there. I think it has something to do with the fresh air/recirc.

You are probably right. I haven't played with mine any more. I need to get out there and flush the cooling system so I can at least have heat. I can work on the defrost door a bit later, but so I at least have some heat will be great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW