What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Truck Year
1967, 1969, 1978
Truck Model
C10, K5, K30
Engine Size
5.3L, 350, 350
I've never used the LS but I don't know how something could work better than Dynomat. I had a couple 12x12 sheets of the foil backed stuff and I put one in each door of the '77 K5. Just those little sheets made the door close much quieter... it went from a loud BANG to a soft 'thunk'.

Lizard skin and Dynamat work differently. Normal dynamat works only by mass dampening the panels, like you did with the doors, by lowering the resonant frequency of flat panels. Materials with a lower resonant frequency take more "power" to vibrate and cause noise, therefore it will absorb low frequency noises such as exhaust resonance, heavy hits (like the door shutting), loud subwoofer speakers, etc that would cause the panels to vibrate. Dynamat doesn't do well to insulate against heat and higher frequency noises like road and wind noise since it is just a solid mass dampener, although dynamat does make other products for that. To insulate against that you need a material with an air gap such as the foam insulation or carpet padding I used. Lizard skin works by suspending small hollow ceramic spheres in paint, when it cures you are left with a thick coating with air gaps in it that does well to insulate, and inherently with the thickly applied paint it will also mass dampen the panels like Dynamat, although not as effectively, although, again, Lizard Skin does make a formulation that is heavier to be applied before, and in combination with normal Lizard Skin to take care of both dampening and insulation.

So basically, there are plenty of ways to skin the cat, weigh the options and the prices. For me, I feel I got a good value for my dollar, although like I said in the case of our 69 K5 I intend to apply lizard skin as an undercoating to block heat while we will be bedlinering the floorboards to mass dampen and protect the floor (gonna be a beach/offroad rig). And my 67 will likely get a combination of the two.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Murphy would not leave me alone today...but....got one side done. Swapped out my carnaged outer axle from 30 spline to 35 spline chromoly with Yukon locking hubs. Damn spindle bearings was shot and would not come out without a fight. Other side should go much quicker tomorrow morning.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It sure looks purdy now though.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Not for my square, but for squares in general...I bought GM parts catalogues from 1979-91 today...Hopefully I will have them by the end of the week.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the truck after work Saturday morning to install the mirrors I acquired recently. I like my camper mirrors better than the dumbo mirrors, and scored a practically brand new pair off eb@y for a good price.

Before....

After....

The ones I took off vibrated like crazy, and because of the way they were mounted they would whistle in the wind. I couldn't stand it driving with the windows down. Much better now, and I am much happier!

Also fixed my decal. I screwed up the truck outline on my original attempt. Good thing I bought two decals, I just put the outline from the other one on it. Looks good being two tone if I say so myself.

Oh yeah, I also have my 3 year old daughter saying gmsquarebody.com! She loves riding in the truck, and just the truck in general!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah, I also have my 3 year old daughter saying gmsquarebody.com! She loves riding in the truck, and just the truck in general!

:bowroflwerd6::bowroflwerd6::bowroflwerd6: So we now have a GMSB spokesperson. Time to start filiming in some ads and posting on You Tube.

The truck looks great.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That ran through my mind already! Thanks for the compliment!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Trucks lookin real nice man. :waytogo:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Awesome lookin truck bob!!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not for my square, but for squares in general...I bought GM parts catalogues from 1979-91 today...Hopefully I will have them by the end of the week.

:kiss1:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Trucks lookin real nice man. :waytogo:

Awesome lookin truck bob!!!

Thanks guys! Over the winter I am going to save up some cash and get new tires for it. Right now some 255/85-16 Cooper ST are at the top of my list. Once the new tires are on, a guy at work is going to take some professional pictures. Not sure how that fits in this thread....

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Truck Year
1967, 1969, 1978
Truck Model
C10, K5, K30
Engine Size
5.3L, 350, 350
Got the truck after work Saturday morning to install the mirrors I acquired recently. I like my camper mirrors better than the dumbo mirrors, and scored a practically brand new pair off eb@y for a good price.

Truck looks great, I like that color. Do you have a link to the ones you bought? My mirrors, like your old ones, shake a little, and have a little surface rust as well.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Truck looks great, I like that color. Do you have a link to the ones you bought? My mirrors, like your old ones, shake a little, and have a little surface rust as well.

Thanks! The truck is more green in person. I haven't figured out the color filters for my camera yet to really capture the true color.

This is the guy I bought them from.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-GM-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460791bf8e&vxp=mtr

I was extremely impressed with the packaging job he did. They were shipped out quickly, and yes, they are as nice as the picture depicts!! You will not be disappointed with them! Good luck! I have been looking for these for well over a year, and they don't come up in this nice of condition at this good of a price.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Thanks! The truck is more green in person. I haven't figured out the color filters for my camera yet to really capture the true color.

This is the guy I bought them from.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-GM-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460791bf8e&vxp=mtr

I was extremely impressed with the packaging job he did. They were shipped out quickly, and yes, they are as nice as the picture depicts!! You will not be disappointed with them! Good luck! I have been looking for these for well over a year, and they don't come up in this nice of condition at this good of a price.

THANK YOU THANK YOU! im been looking for these mirror heads for a while my truck uses the same mirror but it has a larger bracket :)
very nice truck also and please keep it out of the salt. ole Michigan believes in 5 inches of salt every 3 ft on the road up there.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
last weekend, few more hours and ill be driving it