What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Put in a new fuel pump today as mine decided yesterday was a good day to start spraying fuel out the 2 weep holes

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Took it for a play day in the snow up Lolo Pass near Mt. Hood.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420241188573.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420241188573.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 89

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Lolo Pass, that reminds me of one of my granddad's old trucking stories. He was running with another truck that had a driving team on board and was passing them because they were slowing down on a hill because their Cat would get hot before his Detroit would. He looks across when they were side by side just to get mooned.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Installed polyurethane sway bar bushings last night, took it for drive in the woods today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420945066935.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420945066935.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 106

slowlane

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sorry for the long-winded post but here is a tale of last weekend's emergency repair adventure involving my '85 C20.

The past week or so the C20 had been cranking over a bit slow but still starting. I figured the battery was getting weak, so before work on Saturday I drove the truck to Walmart to get a new one. They had a cheap one and a better one (probably neither that great). Surprise, the better one is out of stock. I decided to pass. I go to leave and the starter gives one last pitiful RAWR! and then nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I guess I'll be getting the cheapo battery after all. I put it in and still nothing. I messed with it for a little bit to no avail. I was now going to be late for work and all my tinkering had yielded nothing so I gave up and started walking the couple miles to work. I called to say my truck was broken and I would be late. Luckily a co-worker met me and gave me a ride after I had only walked about 1/3 of the way there.

I got out of work at about 9:30 PM and got a ride home. I also have a '66 VW beetle that I drive in the summer. It had been sitting since November but I reconnected the battery and got the VW running. I rounded up some tools and drove back to the Walmart parking lot to work on the dead C20. I figured it had to be something with the starter. I had saved a couple of boxes from work and threw them over the salty slush under the truck and slid under to look at the starter. When I tried to disconnect the battery cable from the starter, the whole terminal spun in the solenoid. Broken. I attempted to pull the starter but with the temperature hovering around 0, my fingers started to freeze. Walmart was closed so I quick jumped back in the VW which has no heater and headed back home.

Tomorrow was Sunday so all the auto parts stores in my small New Hampshire town were closed. An O'Reilly store 20 miles away in Tilton, NH had a remanufactured starter in stock. They opened at 9:00 AM Sunday, so at 7:00 I fired up the VW and went to pull the starter. A thermometer on a bank I passed said -10 degrees. Perfect. I worked really quickly and got the starter out before my hands were too frozen. Even in that short time my fingers were pretty numb so I hurried inside to the bathroom sink and let hot water run over my hands until I could feel my fingers again.

I grabbed the starter, got a big cup of hot chocolate, and set off on the 40 mile round trip to Tilton in the heaterless old VW. I had to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield several times while driving down to get the starter. By the time I got back, the temperature was now a balmy 4 degrees above zero. I installed the new starter, turned the ignition and, VROOM!, the truck roared to life.

I drove the VW back home and got a ride from my landlord back to the truck. I got the truck and there was still an hour and a half before I had to be at work. This experience has solidified my notion that being a transplanted Texan, I can never live in the north for the rest of my life. If only these things could happen in summer. As a side note I have to congratulate my little VW for being reliable enough to wake up mid-winter and get me around in a pinch, though I feel bad for having to subject it to New Hampshire's salt encrusted winter roads.

Now the truck starts better than it ever has and the VW is back in hibernation.

Last edited:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The past week or so the C20 had been cranking over a bit slow but still starting. I figured the battery was getting week so before work on Saturday I drove the truck to Walmart to get a new one. They had a cheap one and a better one (probably neither that great). Surprise, the better one is out of stock. I decided to pass. I go to leave and the starter gives one last pitiful RAWR! and then nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I guess I'll be getting the cheapo battery after all. I put it in and still nothing. I messed with it for a little bit to no avail. I was now going to be late for work and all my tinkering had yielded nothing so I gave up and started walking the couple miles to work. I called to say my truck was broken and I would be late. Luckily a co-worker met me and gave me a ride after I had only walked about 1/3 of the way there.

I got out of work at about 9:30 PM and got a ride home. I also have a '66 VW beetle that I drive in the summer. It had been sitting since November but I reconnected the battery and got the VW running. I rounded up some tools and drove back to the Walmart parking lot to work on the dead C20. I figured it had to be something with the starter. I had saved a couple of boxes from work and threw them over the salty slush under the truck and slid under to look at the starter. When I tried to disconnect the battery cable from the starter, the whole terminal spun in the solenoid. Broken. I attempted to pull the starter but with the temperature hovering around 0, my fingers started to freeze. Walmart was closed so I quick jumped back in the VW which has no heater and headed back home.

Tomorrow was Sunday so all the auto parts stores in my small New Hampshire town were closed. An O'Reilly store 20 miles away in Tilton, NH had a remanufactured starter in stock. They opened at 9:00 AM Sunday, so at 7:00 I fired up the VW and went to pull the starter. A thermometer on a bank I passed said -10 degrees. Perfect. I worked really quickly and got the starter out before my hands were too frozen. Even in that short time my fingers were pretty numb so I hurried inside to the bathroom sink and let hot water run over my hands until I could feel my fingers again.

I grabbed the starter, got a big cup of hot chocolate, and set off on the 40 mile round trip to Tilton in the heaterless old VW. I had to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield several times while driving down to get the starter. By the time I got back, the temperature was now a balmy 4 degrees above zero. I installed the new starter, turned the ignition and, VROOM!, the truck roared to life.

I drove the VW back home and got a ride from my landlord back to the truck. I got the truck and there was still an hour and a half before I had to be at work. This experience has solidified my notion that being a transplanted Texan, I can never live in the north for the rest of my life. If only these things could happen in summer. As a side note I have to congratulate my little VW for being reliable enough to wake up mid-winter and get me around in a pinch, though I feel bad for having to subject it to New Hampshire's salt encrusted winter roads.

I don't know that I have encountered a Walmart that was closed since I was a little kid. Here I have been bitching about working on mine in the 20 degree weather and your out rolling in the snow in sub zero temps. Hats off to you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good posts guys!

Tim pat on the back to ya. That is some brutal ****. I had to change my fuel pump (in tank) in 18* temps with wind and dropping Saturday night. Still feeling that.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I don't know that I have encountered a Walmart that was closed since I was a little kid. Here I have been bitching about working on mine in the 20 degree weather and your out rolling in the snow in sub zero temps. Hats off to you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They close in ND from 12am-12pm Sunday

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
install some Oracle 7inch halo head lights.

Attachments

• halo lights on.JPG
    halo lights on.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 111

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Woke my truck up from it's winter nap. I hadn't seen it for 4 months.

Hit the key and it turned over strong. About 3 20 second cranks on the starter and the oil pressure came up. Mashed the throttle twice and then it fired right up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry for the long-winded post but here is a tale of last weekend's emergency repair adventure involving my '85 C20.

The past week or so the C20 had been cranking over a bit slow but still starting. I figured the battery was getting weak, so before work on Saturday I drove the truck to Walmart to get a new one. They had a cheap one and a better one (probably neither that great). Surprise, the better one is out of stock. I decided to pass. I go to leave and the starter gives one last pitiful RAWR! and then nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I guess I'll be getting the cheapo battery after all. I put it in and still nothing. I messed with it for a little bit to no avail. I was now going to be late for work and all my tinkering had yielded nothing so I gave up and started walking the couple miles to work. I called to say my truck was broken and I would be late. Luckily a co-worker met me and gave me a ride after I had only walked about 1/3 of the way there.

I hope you were able to get the bottom of the VW a bath to rinse the salt off before you put it back to bed.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Making aluminum inserts for the dash
Not quite finished yet

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

So I'm this far
Should I leave the aluminum as it sits or paint it red?
Both look good to me I'm just torn between them

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
did my brake pads and replaced the broken old shocks

the shocks didnt come with a new lower nut or bolt. wtf?

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Buddy of mine ordered some from rough country for his ford and the little washers for the nuts didn't come with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris