What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralphs85

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic K1500
Engine Size
True enough. I imagine that if you know what you’re doing, they’re fine but their reputation precedes them. And I never did learn about them, all the ones my dad had didn’t complain, and they were on vehicles that didn’t even get driven nearly enough.
Truth be told, it was my first q-jet rebuild. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos and got a book on rebuilding and modifying them. Went pretty smooth. The truck is all original so I'm trying to keep it that way.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I found a set of optional factory forged wheels for my 83 GMC and I've been cleaning them up and polishing them. I've finally got them ready to go. Here's a before and after of the same wheel.
Did you use white or tripolie and a sisal buff?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I found a set of optional factory forged wheels for my 83 GMC and I've been cleaning them up and polishing them. I've finally got them ready to go. Here's a before and after of the same wheel.
I can only imagine that those are pretty rare. I remember seeing them on GMC advertising for the Sarge version.
You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Got new locking hubs installed & at least have FWD. Rear shaft is too short with this 6" lift & u-joint is blown out. Gonna need to extend the rear section or do a 67" single shaft.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Got new locking hubs installed & at least have FWD. Rear shaft is too short with this 6" lift & u-joint is blown out. Gonna need to extend the rear section or do a 67" single shaft.

Been there, dunnit, you got it.

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
I can only imagine that those are pretty rare. I remember seeing them on GMC advertising for the Sarge version.
I love how the semi is $40,000! Now the pickups sell for >$40,000. Blast from the past!

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
I finally got the aux battery and isolator hooked up. Still need to get a new starter cable from the isolator, but it's working good. I'll take it to work tomorrow and see how it does. Now I can start wiring emergency lights on it.

Attachments

• Aux battery.jpg
    Aux battery.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 41
  • isolator to alternator.jpg
    isolator to alternator.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Isolator.jpg
    Isolator.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 40

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That front bumper would be awesome here in Seattle for left lane loafers in Priuses and Teslas!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No pics, but re-stuck down all the chrome trim that never stayed the first time.
I do have to say the quality of the trim is really crap-tacular.
First it’s still “curled”. So the original sticky tape didn’t and still doesn’t have much of a chance of actually sticking since the trim won’t lay flat.
And I installed it in warm weather, had the trim laying flat for days prior and used a heat gun to soften for all the bends at the fenders and back corners.
And I need to seal all the cut ends. There is already water getting behind the clear cover over the chrome. And on a truck that has only been in the rain maybe a half dozen times and only gotten a proper wash half that many times.

The new 3m super sticky stuff seems to hold a lot better but I’m sure there will be another round of re sticking by next year.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
@Grit dog if that trim comes up again, try this tape. It's sticky AF! I'm not even kidding about this. I'm really impressed with the holding power. I don't think water will bother it either.

KUSUFEFI Double Sided Tape Heavy Duty, Double Stick Mounting Adhesive Tape (2 Rolls, Total 20FT), Clear Two Sided Wall Tape Strips, Removable Poster Tape for Home, Office, Car, Outdoor Use https://a.co/d/7mUeUwi

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No pics, but re-stuck down all the chrome trim that never stayed the first time.
I do have to say the quality of the trim is really crap-tacular.
First it’s still “curled”. So the original sticky tape didn’t and still doesn’t have much of a chance of actually sticking since the trim won’t lay flat.
And I installed it in warm weather, had the trim laying flat for days prior and used a heat gun to soften for all the bends at the fenders and back corners.
And I need to seal all the cut ends. There is already water getting behind the clear cover over the chrome. And on a truck that has only been in the rain maybe a half dozen times and only gotten a proper wash half that many times.

The new 3m super sticky stuff seems to hold a lot better but I’m sure there will be another round of re sticking by next year.
Did you buy the pre-cut kit, or did you buy it in a roll? Good info on sealing the ends, I wondered if that was a gimmick. They sell a pen to seal the ends, but I wonder if sealing it with something already around the house would work?

I have my pre-cut kit waiting to go on, but needs to warm up a bit. I have mine laying flat on the ground as well and to stay warm in the house. I got mine from Route LA, since LMC was sold out. Probably the same kit in a different box.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Did you use white or tripolie and a sisal buff?
I used a cloth wheel(s) from harbor freight on a battery drill with green rouge, followed by a wheel with white rouge, followed by a wheel with Mother's Aluminum wheel cleaner.
But first i used a 2" wire wheel on the drill to remove the oxidation, then sanded with a random orbital with 80 grit followed by 120, 220, 400, 1000, 1500, 3000 before starting with cloth polishing wheels. You can get it just about as shiny without all the sanding, but the surface isn't flat and doesn't look as mirror-like.

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
They were used on quite a few 2wd versions of Vans, Blazers and Suburbans, in the late 80's early 90's. But I was told those version aren't forged. Cast aluminum instead.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I used a cloth wheel(s) from harbor freight on a battery drill with green rouge, followed by a wheel with white rouge, followed by a wheel with Mother's Aluminum wheel cleaner.
But first i used a 2" wire wheel on the drill to remove the oxidation, then sanded with a random orbital with 80 grit followed by 120, 220, 400, 1000, 1500, 3000 before starting with cloth polishing wheels. You can get it just about as shiny without all the sanding, but the surface isn't flat and doesn't look as mirror-like.
A lotta work but they sure look nice!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you buy the pre-cut kit, or did you buy it in a roll? Good info on sealing the ends, I wondered if that was a gimmick. They sell a pen to seal the ends, but I wonder if sealing it with something already around the house would work?

I have my pre-cut kit waiting to go on, but needs to warm up a bit. I have mine laying flat on the ground as well and to stay warm in the house. I got mine from Route LA, since LMC was sold out. Probably the same kit in a different box.

I sported for the pre-cut kit. And yes it’s worth sealing the ends. I thought about it when installing and then spaced it off.

If yours doesn’t lay flat, top to bottom, like the sticky tape only contacts on the outer edges without pressing it down, I’d consider weighting it with something and trying to flatten them out.

I’d presume a little dab of clear coat or clear nail polish or similar would be sufficient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128