What grit is good for sand/media blasting frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello,

I'm about to finally do my cab swap, and while I'm there I'll be cleaning up the frame. What grit and type of media or sand would be good to clean my frame? It's mostly surface and light rust, nothing too funky looking. Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It depends on what you plan on using to paint it with afterwards. The POR15 really likes a rough surface and sand is great for that. If you want just an epoxy primer and paint with a smooth finish like it was brand new then go with something softer like nut shells.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll be using POR15. I'm not looking for a factory smooth finish, It's going to be a winter daily and off road rig. So if sand is my best option, what kind of grit should I use?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Have you considered getting the frame hot dipped galvanized. More and more places are capable of doing it and consequently the price has dropped considerably.

The corrosion protection that is afforded by the HD galvanizing process is far superior to any blast/coat process.

First, unlike paint, the molecular bond that occurs between the zinc and the base metal is virtually unbreakable.

Second, but no less important, is the fact that the HD galvanizing process yields an absolute 100% coverage rate. When the frame is submerged in the bath of molten zinc, it is able to penetrate and flow into even the tiniest seams and crevices - places that are unreachable by even the most effective blasting/painting processes. It surrounds every part of the frame and protects every surface.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101788&highlight=GALVANIZED

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While I appreciate the idea, I'm not going down to a bare frame. It'll be a complete rolling chassis and I'll just clean it as is and just mask off the engine and trans. Again, it's not a frame off resto, it's just a DD truck that I'm looking to clean up relatively easily.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Have you considered getting the frame hot dipped galvanized. More and more places are capable of doing it and consequently the price has dropped considerably.

The corrosion protection that is afforded by the HD galvanizing process is far superior to any blast/coat process.

First, unlike paint, the molecular bond that occurs between the zinc and the base metal is virtually unbreakable.

Second, but no less important, is the fact that the HD galvanizing process yields an absolute 100% coverage rate. When the frame is submerged in the bath of molten zinc, it is able to penetrate and flow into even the tiniest seams and crevices - places that are unreachable by even the most effective blasting/painting processes. It surrounds every part of the frame and protects every surface.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101788&highlight=GALVANIZED

What kind of prep do you need to do for that or what is done by the galvanizer? I didn't read the whole thread but it sounded as thought the owner didn't do anything to prep it but how is rust handled prior to dipping? They aren't simply encapsulating it are they?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What kind of prep do you need to do for that or what is done by the galvanizer? I didn't read the whole thread but it sounded as thought the owner didn't do anything to prep it but how is rust handled prior to dipping? They aren't simply encapsulating it are they?

I read through the second page. Seems no prep work is needed. They dip it in hydrochloric acid first, eliminating the rust and any grime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zippo854