What color to paint my Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
My interior is black and grey now

Next up the exterior.... But I want some suggestions

I'm doing this cheap, buying Rustoleum gallon and spraying it on with a harbor freight paint gun.

This is not a show car or trail rig, just a spare vehicle to use if need be and my snow vehicle.

I'm thinking dark grey body with a black top and trim.
Or darker blue body and top.

Anyone have a color that would compliment the black and grey interior? And i'd like to stay away from white, and bright flashy colors.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh man. You've said DARK to many times. DARK shows all the flaws. You can go with any color really with those interior colors. I've heard good things about the "$50 Paint Job" if done right. I'll probably be doing at least one of these cheap paint jobs someday, but I won't be doing dark colors at all.

Usually, guys doing these cheap paint jobs are just going for the clean and sanitary look. If it were me, I'd be re thinking to the lighter colors. And the Rustoleam job will probably last longer if you avoid dark too so it doesn't absorb as much heat and back itself. Things like go light gray or silver instead of dark gray. Red instead of Maroon. Sky blue instead of dark blue, etc. Just a thought.

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
Yeah, I really like black but I know i'd see all the bad spots. Its light grey primer now and doesn't look too bad so a lighter grey / med grey or silver might be ok

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There usually isn't much damage above the high line on the body. What about light light grey or better yet, silver below the line, black above the line and a pinstripe on the line to cover the joint. If you haven't seen black and silver together yet, It's BADASS !!!

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
Not sure i'd like two tone.

But the only thing really wrong with it body wise is the fenders are a little crumpled on the fangs because the PO rolled into a ditch. All the outside panels have been replaced except the doors and tailgate and are in pretty good shape to me.

Just right now when I look down the sides it looks wavy, I'm not sure if its the sanding before the primer or if its just a bunch of little dents.

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
I'll try to get some pics tomarrow and see if I can upload them on here.

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
re all the panels new? Did you have to use filler on the body. The wavy part arer usually poor block sandi

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yeah, I really like black but I know i'd see all the bad spots. Its light grey primer now and doesn't look too bad so a lighter grey / med grey or silver might be ok

If you like the primer look just block it out and shoot it with a clear coat. Use one of those ready mixed clears from Dupi-color or Barrett Jackson.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The body guys always want the exterior finish to match whatever you first see when you open the doors (i.e the color of the door frame/hinge pillar).

Maintains an OEM look and allows for some overspray when you shoot the doors.

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
I didn't replace the panels, the last guy did. Doesn't seem to have much if any bondo. Idk what they used, new or junkyard parts but i'm going to guess junkyard.

Here we go....

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
I would agree that a light silver to medium gray would look good, especially with those wheels. If you are going with cheap paint, you probably don't have to worry about this - but avoid metallics. The "sparkles" are hard to spray without showing your spray strokes, hard to color match in the future if you need touch up, and will show imperfections as well.

It's a shame you don't like two-tones... I would go with a silver on bottom, black on top - but keep it higher, like the center line of the door handle, and then seal the transition with a red pinstripe. You could even go with matte black to help hide some of the imperfections.

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
I didn't say I didn't like two tone. I'm just not sure about it. I'd have to see a pic to say I like it or not.
But I do like silver and black. If I did, you guys are saying just follow the bodyline? Not that it'll look good, but maybe i'll try to photoshop it tonight lol

19Blazer80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
Quick "paint" job lol

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
I would say on this one, not to go with the body line. I think if you went off the center of the door handle, along the side, and down around the fender to meet with where the grill chrome is... right along where the fender rolls around and gets flat on the side.

That will make it look a little "lighter" and might not show the imperfections of panels not quite lining up just right.
Looks like it would line up close to the height of the body line going across the upper part of the tailgate too...
Just my opinion though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising