What am I missing with the wipers in my 1990 Burb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holcombehas6

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI 350
I can get 3 pulses after I push it to "wash" the windshield. After that, I get nothing. I have replaced the motor, replaced the cruise/wiper/turn signal controls, and I have take out the delay module and hooked them together. This should give me low, high, and off. Replaced the fuse even though it was good. The only thing I have noticed is that on the controls, when I rotate it from off to on to low, to hi that there is no noticeable pop or click between the different settings. Does anyon have any thoughts? thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you replace the actual wiper switch in the column, or just the stalk? The switch should have detents when you rotate the stalk to the different positions. Some have individual detents in the delay area as well as the detents for off/low/high.

holcombehas6

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI 350
What did I replace

I only replaced the stalk. It is the piece that has the black arm that you can pull out. with the silver piece on it also. It has the cable attached to it that runs thru the steering column. Do you know which piece inside the column has the detents in it? It sounds like that is what I need to replace to make these wipers work the right way. So much for an easy fix....

holcombehas6

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
5.7 TBI 350
It looks like the wiper pivot dimmer switch is what is broken on mine. The question is how to replace that thing....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It looks like the wiper pivot dimmer switch is what is broken on mine. The question is how to replace that thing....

It's not a job I'm fond of. I don't like having to route the wires through the column and then there's the plastic cover over the switch area. Me and that plastic cover usually don't get along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia