Weird cruise/wiper problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So I looked through the cruise control troubleshooting sticky and didn't find what I was looking for, I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Got an 87 V10 burb, my cruise control only seems to work when the wipers are on HI (it also used to work on LO and the faster end of the delay spectrum but not anymore). If cruise is already on and I turn the wipers down, cruise stops. Also, using my left turn signal will kick it out of cruise.

I assumed it was just a bad column switch and was about to replace it, but from what I've read it looks like the wiper/turn signal controls are separate from the cruise control, so I'm really not sure why the two would affect one another. Is this a common issue that anyone else has run into before?

I do have another lever laying around which is where I thought the cruise switches are, and separate from the wiper/signal switch inside the column, but if this is happening maybe I am wrong?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm going to guess that the 2 wires that run from the stalk down the column for the cruise, have chafed through the insulation where they go into the column from the stalk. It's causing a short when they touch, and canceling your cruise when you move the stalk for a different function.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's my guess too, bad wire(s) that go into the stalk.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well I finally got around to looking into it today. The wires weren't worn through but were twisted up kind of funny so I assume it was kinked or broken under the insulation, maybe even starting to rip off of the switch itself.

I had another lever/cruise switch from my old pickup laying around that I had been meaning to swap out for a while now anyway because the fake chrome was peeling off the one in my burb, so I tossed it in and everything works as it should now. Interestingly enough my delay wipers actually function properly now too, so that old lever was all sorts of messed up. Glad I don't have to tear the whole column apart to change the wiper switch :waytogo:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising