Weird bumping at full lock with 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Does anybody know what would be causing this weird thing my truck does at full steering lock when I'm in 4wd? It's like I'm driving over something every time the wheel makes a full revolution. The truck doesn't do this when in 2wd so I know it's because I'm in 4wd.

I'm assuming 4wd is just weird when making that tight of a turn. But it's pretty extreme so I was wondering if this was a classic symptom of something being broken. It happens in the front right when when making a hard right turn

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
On dry pavement? That would be expected. (We always called it "crabbing").

Or are you saying it's doing it on snow/dirt or some other deformable surface?

K

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
On dry pavement? That would be expected. (We always called it "crabbing").

Or are you saying it's doing it on snow/dirt or some other deformable surface?

K
I wouldn't say dry pavement, but it was on the edge of a partially snowy parking lot. Either way it would have been wet. And crabbing is a very good description

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I was thinking maybe a front axle joint could be warn out.

Or a hub problem
It could be. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's the u joint in the front axle. It was pretty rough looking the last time I looked at it

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
get in some grass and try it again. I could see the tires grabbing on partially covered pavement.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
get in some grass and try it again. I could see the tires grabbing on partially covered pavement.
I just tried it in the snow, it still happens

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
At full lock they have a tendency to hop from the extreme angle of the U-joints at the knuckles. If it's not accompanied by a noise it's probably normal. Sometimes a little throttle helps, but it will still do it to some extent.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
A U joint in the axle is seizing.

I try to never turn to full lock when my 4x is locked in. When those knuckles are turned the joint opens up and is at it's weakest position.

Now is the time for you to get the front end rebuilt. Both U joints should be done and while it's apart wheel bearings and you might even want to rebuild your locking hubs.
If you don't get those U joint fixed there will be breakage and most likely with destroy the knuckle and cost ^^^ not good.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Here is a pretty good video on how universal joints work.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The driveshaft utilizes two universal joints to act as a constant velocity drive. The front driveshaft don't have two joints and therefore have a fluctuating velocity on the output shafts. The harder the wheel is turned, the greater the velocity cycling will be. You also can end up in some situations where the joint can bind at too much of an angle and can cause it to break. As a general rule I try to avoid going anywhere near full lock in 4wd.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
A U joint in the axle is seizing.

I try to never turn to full lock when my 4x is locked in. When those knuckles are turned the joint opens up and is at it's weakest position.

Now is the time for you to get the front end rebuilt. Both U joints should be done and while it's apart wheel bearings and you might even want to rebuild your locking hubs.
If you don't get those U joint fixed there will be breakage and most likely with destroy the knuckle and cost ^^^ not good.
I still have my factory automatic hubs. So I'll have to do some research on how to rebuild them as they still work really well.

Thanks for the input. This truck could definitely use a rebuild of the front end.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Here is a pretty good video on how universal joints work.

The driveshaft utilizes two universal joints to act as a constant velocity drive. The front driveshaft don't have two joints and therefore have a fluctuating velocity on the output shafts. The harder the wheel is turned, the greater the velocity cycling will be. You also can end up in some situations where the joint can bind at too much of an angle and can cause it to break. As a general rule I try to avoid going anywhere near full lock in 4wd.
But the turning radius is so awful in 4wd. You're correct though. I should probably be more careful

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
But the turning radius is so awful in 4wd. You're correct though. I should probably be more careful

When I'm on tight logging roads or skid trails my hand is almost always on the TC lever. I'm in and out of 4x all the time. Those switchbacks on logging
roads for example.
But I use 4x on these roads all the time, even if it seems I don't need the traction. There's so much washboard and chiggers, it's easier on the truck,
tires AND the road.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I'm on tight logging roads or skid trails my hand is almost always on the TC lever. I'm in and out of 4x all the time. Those switchbacks on logging
roads for example.
But I use 4x on these roads all the time, even if it seems I don't need the traction. There's so much washboard and chiggers, it's easier on the truck,
tires AND the road.

sorry for straying off topic

i know what washboard roads are.
what are chiggers?

here in missouri, chiggers are biting insects that make your legs itch like the dickens.
:)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
sorry for straying off topic

i know what washboard roads are.
what are chiggers?

here in missouri, chiggers are biting insects that make your legs itch like the dickens.
:)
Yes we have the little bastard bugs called chiggers. But on logging roads old loggers call protruding rocks 'chiggers'. A lesson in political correctness here.. By the late 80's the logging industry was effected by PC. They used to call protruding rocks '****** heads'. Even BC Forestry's road prescription called them NH's... when building a logging road it had to conform to the standards listed on the prescription, which was 'how you do it' part of the contract. There was limited count of protruding rocks allowed... and the techs would count them to verify compliance. Well the loggers then started calling them.... protruding NG's haha! Eventually the slang term became 'chiggers'.
Gotta love them loggers! Even though we wear women's undies under our bucking pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10