Water pump questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Where do I drill the hole in the thermostat? Is 1/8” too big?

1/8" is good. Look first before you drill the hole. Some stats have a notch in the center stopper, (V shape).

Drill the hole in the flat part of the steel.

You must be registered for see images attach

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
If you buy a high flow thermostat, the ones I’ve used already have the bleed hole in them. They are usually in the aftermarket parts area in the store, or you can get them from Summit, Jegs, etc.

Also, if you have a relatively stock engine application, i suggest using a 195 degree thermostat, not a 180 or a 160. Street engines work much better and stay healthier running at 195-200 (or even up to about 220) .
Also, remember that a low temp thermostat will not fix an inadequate cooling system. The best it can do is to delay the overheating a few minutes. A squarebody with a good radiator, water pump, and the stock steel fan and thermostatic fan clutch has a lot of cooling capacity. Just makes sure it’s all working as designed.
Pretty good advice on the thermostat temp. I went down that rabbit hole once!

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I do not think it is stock. It’s worn out with less than ideal oil pressure, I was told to run 20w50 with rislone zinc additive to help with that now I get 18lbs hot idle 50 cold 28 running 2200 rpm down highway, but has tons of power and will rev to 6500 rpm with a touch of the gas.
It will run forever with that much oil press

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
A lack of a thermostat will cause overheating.
The water circulates so fast it does not have time to pickup the heat and carry it away.
We are in cold winter country and run 195 thermostats year around.
An engine must be up to temperature to be efficient and to run right.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes. Theromstat temperature is directly related to the fuel mixture quality/atomization. I believe the GM rating is 195 OR it will run rich, like the choke is on -all the time. Low temperature thermostats cost fuel mileage.
Long water pumps coincide with bolt holes in cylinder heads, like Rick said.
I run 195 year round but have never ever drilled a hole in one. If it was supposed to have a hole in it then it would come out the box that way....but it didn't.
Hope this helps!

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bumping the thread. I have a factory shroud. What's the procedure on water pump removal, or more precisely on fan removal? Looks like to get the fan out I need to remove shroud, but to remove shroud there should be no fan in the way :D What's the correct way of doing it without poking a hole in a radiator?

Also I've noticed that top and bottom part of the should looks like stapled together. Are these staples the only thing holding the shroud together? That may seem like the easiest, but a bit odd way to do it

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Bumping the thread. I have a factory shroud. What's the procedure on water pump removal, or more precisely on fan removal? Looks like to get the fan out I need to remove shroud, but to remove shroud there should be no fan in the way :D What's the correct way of doing it without poking a hole in a radiator?

Also I've noticed that top and bottom part of the should looks like stapled together. Are these staples the only thing holding the shroud together? That may seem like the easiest, but a bit odd way to do it
The square body shroud is stapled together. Dad modified the ones on our Burbs with 1/4"-20 bolts, washers and nuts, 3 per side. This way, you can take the top half off, and access the fan and water pump much more easily. But you will have to drill the appropriate sized holes for whatever bolts you use....
The OBS trucks have bolts and speed nuts to hold the two halves together, and it makes it much easier to replace the water pump and hoses that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad