Wacky Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sachmo

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350/sm465
After work one day it was raining, so i went to turn the wipers on. They made a jolt and then sat still. I got out and helped them back and forth a few times, until they went on their own. I've been doing this for about a month now, and I'm tired of explaining to people why i'm "warming up my wipers". Is this a symptom of a bad motor, or maybe just a bad ground?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It could be that the wiper mechanism needs to be lubed but most of the time it's the wiper motor.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The brushes might be worn down to the point that they barely make contact and as they warm up can expand and do better. But before getting a new motor, be sure and try discoing the linkage and see if the motor runs free. Also while disconnected operate the linkage by hand to check for binding:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

And tell the "people" that the truck was built long ago - before the advent of semiconductors, even transistors. If they are still paying attention, you can add that they operate on vacuum tube technology and require a suitable warm-up period before use - like an old TV set.

Last edited:

Sachmo

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350/sm465
Thanks for the replies guys! I cleaned up all the connections and checked for binding in the wiper arms with the motor disconnected. It was all good, so i'll order a new motor for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krytza9911