Vortec heads worth massaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

770johnnyw

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
As cheap as aluminum heads are these days in you guys opinion is it practical to do port work and big valves? Or just go with the cheap aluminum

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
For me it's aluminum all the way , (afr's) , not that vortec's are bad but they will not stack up against good aluminum head's , imo.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Depends on what your goals are, IMO.

I like to compare the cam lift to the CFM ratings of the heads at the different lift heights. I haven't looked at CFM ratings lately, but I remember seeing some Vortec head numbers that were better than some aluminum heads up until roughly the .500 lift mark. After that the aluminum heads took over. That told me the Vortecs would be "better" for a low-mid torque "truck" cam, while the aluminum heads would excel with a higher rpm "car" cam. Make sense?

The above applies to either iron or aluminum heads. There are plenty of really good iron heads out there that will out perform a fair number of the cheaper aluminum heads.

In saying all that, figure out the true cost of working over your Vortecs to the true cost of getting a set of cheap aluminum heads going. Add up all the little nickels and dimes $$ that you are going to spend, and see what it is. Can you even get the Vortecs to where you need/want them? Are the aluminum heads actually noticeably better in the power department? Or will you be paying to just take weight off the front of your vehicle? Is it a big or small $ difference?

Just some things to think about.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Average long block 350 = 520lbs.
Average cast iron intake manifold = 42lbs
Average heads = 70-80lbs each.

By just switching to an aluminum head you would drop over 40lbs off the motor alone which is a HUGE difference in weight for the front end.

Are aluminum products worth the money? Depends if you can get good deals or not on them.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
As cheap as aluminum heads are these days in you guys opinion is it practical to do port work and big valves? Or just go with the cheap aluminum

It really depends on how much is charged for the porting, but the biggest gain is on the exhaust side and they can be made to flow well enough to use a single pattern cam quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68