Voltage Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdillon12

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Word to the wise... everything these guys asked you to check and verify could now be partially damaged, as a result of the broken wire you found... especially your ground wires having gasses and corrosion being generated. When your system undergoes stress from poor grounds, it can empty/dry out the end cells on your battery of acid/water, or all of them... verify your battery water levels, use Distilled... and clean all your ground connections, especially to the frame, firewall and alternator.

I had to do this yesterday for a guy who refused to verify his grounds, as asked, 12 months ago... his car was my ride home, so he got his car serviced and repaired in return for some Corned Beef and Cabbage...

Once the brown out starts, the effects can kill batteries, alternators, ignition modules and starters and they can all go in order or individually for months on end.
Clean your connections with baking soda, carefully, (don't spill baking soda water anywhere near your battery or BOOM) and sand and polish your terminal connections.
Use dielectric grease on everything... after you have cleaned and inspected every connection or connector.

...Or you MAY be posting here again in a few months.

Your problems may have only just started, unless you clean everything to spec, now you have found a poor ground and repaired it.
Especially at your starter connections, where the corrosion can and will accumulate where you may not see it.

Nice Rig!
Thanks. I’ll check everything out!

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Can't tell you how many times I have cut opened a moulded ground lug and exposed all kinds of green powder secretly hiding underneath the black cable covering... corroding all the wires from contacting each other...
For $13.00 consider a new heavier gauge ground wire, just to be safe... If yours is 8 go to 6 or better yet 4... it will take longer to screw up your system with corrosion, with larger ground wire from your battery to your alternator bracket...

I'm an electrical nerd, so overkill on the grounds is one of my strongest recommendations to forum electrical issues, no matter what gets resolved...

Last edited:

82BBC20

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
When I started having electrical issues on my 82 C20 man did I find a lot of bad grounds, visual inspection did not reveal just how bad things were! Wasn’t until I started cutting insulation on wires & realizing how much corrosion was inside, replaced every ground cable & wire along with adding additional grounds but not before I burned up 2 starters & 3 alternators trying to figure out what was wrong!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
When I started having electrical issues on my 82 C20 man did I find a lot of bad grounds, visual inspection did not reveal just how bad things were! Wasn’t until I started cutting insulation on wires & realizing how much corrosion was inside, replaced every ground cable & wire along with adding additional grounds but not before I burned up 2 starters & 3 alternators trying to figure out what was wrong!
grounds are good. Every older vehicle I've owned lacked them and I tend to go a little overboard. Get the braid and they look good :)

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Word to the wise... everything these guys asked you to check and verify could now be partially damaged, as a result of the broken wire you found... especially your ground wires having gasses and corrosion being generated. When your system undergoes stress from poor grounds, it can empty/dry out the end cells on your battery of acid/water, or all of them... verify your battery water levels, use Distilled... and clean all your ground connections, especially to the frame, firewall and alternator.

I had to do this yesterday for a guy who refused to verify his grounds, as asked, 12 months ago... his car was my ride home, so he got his car serviced and repaired in return for some Corned Beef and Cabbage...

Once the brown out starts, the effects can kill batteries, alternators, ignition modules and starters and they can all go in order or individually for months on end.
Clean your connections with baking soda, carefully, (don't spill baking soda water anywhere near your battery or BOOM) and sand and polish your terminal connections.
Use dielectric grease on everything... after you have cleaned and inspected every connection or connector.

...Or you MAY be posting here again in a few months.

Your problems may have only just started, unless you clean everything to spec, now you have found a poor ground and repaired it.
Especially at your starter connections, where the corrosion can and will accumulate where you may not see it.

Nice Rig!
I cannot agree more. A good battery with good grounds will keep things running well for a long time.

Low voltage kills electronics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara