Very tempted! Beautiful 77 Suburban 454 2wd for sale!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Really nice original rig

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great post!

I like it, I like it a lot.

Might just see what a one way ticket will cost me...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I didn't buy it....tempting though. Got a bigass dually I've put too much into and cannot get this Burb.....well, yet.
Is your dually a crew cab? No ? so you need the burb for certain. I endorse you acquire.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So are you going to buy it now?

You know, it really could be a good financial decision. These things are only going up in value, even the Suburbans. As long as you simply maintain it and enjoy it, you really can't lose on it :)

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@shiftpro Yes, my dually is a crew-cabber, and it is one of them there rare "money pit" kinda ones :Big Laugh: So technically I do not need a Suburban for the family. We already have an '01 3/4 ton we drive all year around. Something like this brown Suburban would be "on occasion" or used for pulling the camper locally and that is about it. AKA....just another toy.

@bucket I hear you there! However, I need to be careful. Buying this would set back my dually project, and my 51 Ford Truck would sit for another few years. I know it would be a good investment, and I could certainly keep it maintained nicely, but the funds are just not there for it as of now! Being a single income with a family of 6, every penny counts on everything we do! Still cheaper to have an at home mom rather than paying $8,000 per week for daycare it seems these days!

Still, it is a very tempting purchase. Now, if this was my dads 78 that he used to have and it was for sale on Craigslist, I would have not even posted about it being for sale, I would have bought it....then showed you guys after I got it home and figured out the financial mess/divorce papers later :anitoof:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@OldBlueDually I hear ya, lol. We are a family of 12 and mostly a single income (wife does some photography that provides some income too), you have to pinch pennies when you can. It's why I bought a $2100 primered bondo queen instead of a nice clean 6k Burb. And yeah, daycare makes absolutely zero financial sense for us as well, lol. I've got a friend that puts his two kids in daycare and for what it costs a month, he only comes out $100 ahead compared to what either him or his wife bring home every month. In other words, one of them works all month, instead of spending the day with their kids, for $100 profit. That's not the life for us, we will earn money elsewhere.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Wow @bucket 12 of you! Here I thought we had a lot to take care of and do! It is NOT easy, that is for sure. I commend you guys for making it work, that is great. Part of the reason my wife is an at home mom was because of what you said about your friend, it was the same thing here! Not worth it. Not only the $100 at the end of the month, but the vehicle to still maintain on top of that, not worth the cost. Nothing wrong at all with cheap toys either! Your $2,100 bondo-burban is awesome! Heck, my dually cost me $1,000 when I bought it, but I could afford that, and I also have the mechanical know-how (well, for the most part!) to do a lot of this work myself which is money saved.

Anyhow, sometimes I feel like I am one of very few that has a single income, and one of few that really has to watch every penny spent, glad to know that I am not the only one!

Speaking of money, this is part of the reason I am just going to use my used gears in the rear-end that are a bit pitted, and very shiny. Yeah I gotta replace a bearing and seal, but again cannot afford to throw the $800 it needs for all new stuff. For what I plan to do with the truck, I feel I will be fine. Again, one of them choices a guy has to make. That $800 instead will be going towards new tires, which is something that is a "must have" for the truck, not a "I think I should have" for it.

Good talk bucket! I don't mind railroading a thread to discuss stuff. Thanks for the chat!

Time to go to the garage now to continue the rear-end work!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it helps @OldBlueDually , I’m in the same connundrum currently about the 78 I posted in the what’s it worth thread.
Except my kids are older, and far more expensive than when they were little and the 86 is much closer to being done and hasn’t been a money pit. Well I guess it is, as I paid more up front to not spend more on the back end.
You sure don’t see them bud a like that and I’d imagine a half ton big block is not that common.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Cool 'ole rig! I thought those wheel covers first debuted in 1979???? Can someone confirm or correct me on that?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cool 'ole rig! I thought those wheel covers first debuted in 1979???? Can someone confirm or correct me on that?

I'm pretty sure they were available all through the 70's. But I'm definitely not positive on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey