Vent window trick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used that trick...cut the inside of the gasket instead of taking the window out of the frame. Worked great! The nut and other hardware was pitted, like it would strip if I tried to back it out any more than I already had tried, so this trick saved me that headache. The kit I used was precision 2-piece, but likely for 80s trucks as the straight piece had tabs on them that did not line up with the rivets. I bent the tabs in and plan to use an adhesive to keep in in place.

As many others have said, getting the gasket to sit in the channel is a pain. I used silicone grease (same used for residential plumbing) and channel locks after wrestling the gasket for a few hours. The channel locks pressed the gasket into the channel with some minor twisting.

With the gasket in the channel, the glass was out of alignment (top corner was too far back). With the window upside down, I used a mallet to hit the curved section of the frame to realign. I did have to cut away some of the rubber at the top of the window for the glass to sit flush.

Despite the window being lined up, there are still gaps in some areas around the seal. I plan on using black window sealer (another residential product) to add material in those areas and close the gap unless anyone else has a better solution.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know why everyone is so afraid of this task. I did mine and it takes some time and patience but by no means is it difficult. I used Precision Seals and the rivets and tool kit from LMC that was like dirt cheap. Buy the cheap plastic trim tool, it makes the job much easier and far less chance of tearing a gasket. Use a bottle of soapy water and get r done. Paying $500 for refurbished units is ridiculous unless you're a double amputee. My apologies to any one armed bandits, no offence intended.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you have any gaps after installing the gasket or is it just my workmanship?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No gaps. It turned out like it came from the factory.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you talking gaps between glass and gasket or when installed in the door itself?

Randy and E
I'm talking about gaps between the glass and gasket, along the bottom and the diagonal edges. I can get some photos of it tonight. The frame itself went back in the door no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1