Valve cover bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
In my pursuit to figure out my annoying an persistent oil leak, I changed out my valve cover gaskets. Noticed that my valve covers where bent where the bolts go and got some new valve covers.

I installed them and tightened them down. Today I now have a leak that is bigger than before. Perhaps I either tightened them too tight, or not enough? I'm really upset. From what I have learned, the torque spec is 5ft/lbs. I have a torque wrench but it doesn't go that low.

What is the best way to torque down the bolts without a torque wrench? Are load spreaders a must?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Load spreaders always help. Torque wrenches are available in small inch lb increments, but I always tightened the valve covers by hand. 5lbs isn't much, use a 1/4 drive ratchet, and a long extension and you should be fine.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Make sure you are using good quality gaskets. The reusable silicone ones are really nice. If your valve covers are flt it should only take tightening the bolts with a nut driver.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you have perimeter bolt valve covers get yourself some felpro blue gaskets. Then get some spread bars and t-handle bolts.

After you've done that if your valve covers are warped fix them. Find a flat edge and clean up the edges. Then use acetone and clean up the surfaces on the head and valve covers.

Re-install with no leaks.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
If you have perimeter bolt valve covers get yourself some felpro blue gaskets. Then get some spread bars and t-handle bolts.

After you've done that if your valve covers are warped fix them. Find a flat edge and clean up the edges. Then use acetone and clean up the surfaces on the head and valve covers.

Re-install with no leaks.

Should the blue fel-pro gaskets go on dry? Are they reusable?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Should the blue fel-pro gaskets go on dry? Are they reusable?

Yes and yes. Its what I put on my truck and haven't a single problem. The bolt holes have little metal circles so you can't over tighten them either.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Yes and yes. Its what I put on my truck and haven't a single problem. The bolt holes have little metal circles so you can't over tighten them either.

Gotcha, thank you.

Not sure if I can use the T-handle bolts because it would hit my AC compressor.
Would you use them on all 8 holes?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Gotcha, thank you.

Not sure if I can use the T-handle bolts because it would hit my AC compressor.
Would you use them on all 8 holes?

Use what you can and if you can't fit the t-handles then just use a normal bolt with the spread and just hand tighten.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72