Vacuum to Hydro...Can someone write guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
So I'm planning out long term things while i save money for more parts and projects. I'd like to upgrade to hydroboost eventually. My current 305 has horrible vacuum so my brakes suck. I'm replacing it with a rebuilt 350 so that will help some. But i'm also planning on doing the serpentine belt conversion, at which point I can use a power steering pump designed for hydroboost.

What all needs to be switched over???

I assume:
Brake Pedal
Vacuum booster to Hydrobooster
Master Cylinder

Do any of the brake lines or threads NEED to be swapped? Or could I just swap the above for now and later change over to the bigger calipers?

It would be nice if someone did a how-to write up on this conversion :)

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I actually am about to swap the front axle to the 3/4 ton. Can I switch to the round banjo calipers now while I still have a jb6 system? I know I would need new hoses but will the 8+k gvw hoses direct fit with the current hard lines? The steel brake are mainly what I'm asking about for this whole thread

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Master cylinder remains the same as do the brake pedal and linkage.

Nothing gets changed on the brake high pressure hydraulic side - don't even need to remove pressure lines. Just replace the complete vacuum chamber assembly with a hydroboost unit.

Some different steering pump/hydroboost hydraulic hoses must be installed. If your P/S pump doesn't have an extra return port, you need to tee into the return from the steering gear unit.

Basics on Hydroboost - post #6:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2757

Couple of images showing piping:

You must be registered for see images attach

I will provide better images soon.

Last edited:

Jeff Dodson

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have HYDROBOOST on my 82 K20 4x4, it AINT all that. My truck WAS as diesel but it now has a 350. BTW, why do you not have enough vacuum.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll be doing the swap here sooner or later... When I do it, I was planning on doing a write-up. Have all the parts, just have to clean it all up and make it look pretty before I get to it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Master cylinder remains the same as do the brake pedal and linkage.

Might be a model-specific issue, but I had to change the brake pedal also. The attachment point for the push rod is in a different location on the hydroboost pedal. The vacuum pedal might work, but I wanted to be sure the foot pedal stayed in the same position in relation to the floor.

Another difference is the orientation of the hard lines coming out of the master cylinder. The original vacuum setup had the large reservoir with the small line towards the front.

The hydroboost m/c was reversed with the large reservoir towards the firewall.

It's not an issue, just a matter of carefully bending the lines to line up with the correct ports. When the hydroboost m/c failed, the replacement m/c came with the ports as they were originally so I reversed them yet again.

The pumps all seem to be the same. The pump I used came from a mid-nineties Suburban and had the return port on the tank. After a while it started making some noise so I installed my original pump inside the tank with the return port and it works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda