V Belt Suggestions - Fan spacing, pulley sizing, belt routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
“Choppy” power steering could be belt slippage.
Eliminate that first. Sounds contradictory to what I said about not needing double belts but if it’s slipping, imo 2 belts is a bandaid.
Make sure belt not glazed, or new belt.
Same for pulleys. Clean and scuff with some sandpaper.
Or the old time bandaid. Shoot it with some belt dressing.
Do that before condemning hard parts.
Those PS filters unless plugged do not restrict flow imo. They’re pretty coarse screens that catch chunks not minute particles.
I did have lots of junk in my old pump even after putting a filter in, so i wouldnt be surprised if it caught a lot. metal bits that is. BUT, yes the belt is good, its the new belt. It isnt slipping, or at least makes no sound to indicate that. But I did some research on ps lines and it sounds like one of my bends is likely keeping an air pocket. So I will fix that with a shorter run of hose and new hose(not bad, but its been a couple years and run a little long)
Im condeming some hard parts because my ps pump has a good amount of wobble in it. Like shaft end play, the one i took off was shot and lot worse than i thought. But i also have never had a new or unworn saginaw to compare it too. The only PS pumps i encounter are ones i remove and replace, i guess i never check the play or wobble. I do need to increase idle speed a bit on truck when it is on the kick down, that i noticed a wee bit of throttle helped a bunch, but that tells me maybe it was the oversized pulley. at 600-700 rpm i would think that should be enough for full assist. but i also have to consider that my front end permanently is heavier than most trucks let alone square by a couple hundred pounds, i have HD springs, and in winter i have a few hundred in extra plow. So maybe im an extreme example of needing more ps assist than most trucks? esp if the pulley came off a car or something

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@bucket so i was reading another thread about alternators and came across "charge wire" information. I guess I never noticed but there is a dummy light for warning low voltage? like, in the gauge corner? Red im guessing? Same for gas maybe? Either way, I read it has to have the bulb light up to "energize" the alternator, and uh it doesnt work. never has, never even knew it was one. maybe a chance the alternator would work better if it was on? The old one had a bad bearing, but it would seemingly go above 13 esp at high revs, but the new one seems to just hang around 12 or so, but it does go up with revs. maybe they arent outputting at charge because of the warning lamp?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did have lots of junk in my old pump even after putting a filter in, so i wouldnt be surprised if it caught a lot. metal bits that is. BUT, yes the belt is good, its the new belt. It isnt slipping, or at least makes no sound to indicate that. But I did some research on ps lines and it sounds like one of my bends is likely keeping an air pocket. So I will fix that with a shorter run of hose and new hose(not bad, but its been a couple years and run a little long)
Im condeming some hard parts because my ps pump has a good amount of wobble in it. Like shaft end play, the one i took off was shot and lot worse than i thought. But i also have never had a new or unworn saginaw to compare it too. The only PS pumps i encounter are ones i remove and replace, i guess i never check the play or wobble. I do need to increase idle speed a bit on truck when it is on the kick down, that i noticed a wee bit of throttle helped a bunch, but that tells me maybe it was the oversized pulley. at 600-700 rpm i would think that should be enough for full assist. but i also have to consider that my front end permanently is heavier than most trucks let alone square by a couple hundred pounds, i have HD springs, and in winter i have a few hundred in extra plow. So maybe im an extreme example of needing more ps assist than most trucks? esp if the pulley came off a car or something

No such thing as air trapped in the return line. That’s where you have the filter, right?
And btw, a new reman pump is like $40-50. If yours is messed up, It’s messed up. Of course your truck will be harder to turn the wheels with a plow hanging off it. Get a new pump if you intend to actually use the truck or is your goal to only use 40 year old random used parts of unknown condition?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@bucket so i was reading another thread about alternators and came across "charge wire" information. I guess I never noticed but there is a dummy light for warning low voltage? like, in the gauge corner? Red im guessing? Same for gas maybe? Either way, I read it has to have the bulb light up to "energize" the alternator, and uh it doesnt work. never has, never even knew it was one. maybe a chance the alternator would work better if it was on? The old one had a bad bearing, but it would seemingly go above 13 esp at high revs, but the new one seems to just hang around 12 or so, but it does go up with revs. maybe they arent outputting at charge because of the warning lamp?
The idiot light for the alternator does not “energize” the alternator.
Unsure how you know what voltage it runs at or how you’re testing it. but like the PS pump, You can only expect so much from parts out of the junk pile.
Without getting into details, why not just have the alternator bench tested? Save the trouble of trying to play web MD with your sick alternator.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No such thing as air trapped in the return line. That’s where you have the filter, right?
And btw, a new reman pump is like $40-50. If yours is messed up, It’s messed up. Of course your truck will be harder to turn the wheels with a plow hanging off it. Get a new pump if you intend to actually use the truck or is your goal to only use 40 year old random used parts of unknown condition?
again you havent read my posts. This was just to replace the completely twacked pump, but i wasnt about to put a new pump on my engine until I had the alignment of the belts fixed. thats just dumb. The bearings on both alternator and power steering were just toast, and those belts looked pretty bad too. They were both incorrectly aligned and etc. THese are a pump and alternator that were on a shelf and an engine i have laying around. The pump works fine, it just does, but the only thing i notice is the choppy part. I have the filter on the pump return line, yes. But because of how the return barb sticks out on this one, i had to route the hose for the return a different way and it already had a 90 degree elbow in line so I have like 3 directional changes in 2 feet or so of line, and I was just going off this
You must be registered for see images attach

But regardless if that is the cause, I was going to simplify my return line setup(not a bad thing..?) and bleed air with my mightyvac. I have a homeade air bleeder for it that i made 2 years ago from a corvette oil cap and a air compressor fitting. worked really well on a 2001.

But anyway, reducing the amount of bends and restrictions in my return line and bleeding air extensively i dont see as hurting or making things worse. if after that, i have issues, I was going to check pulley sizes and try to find the math on that. I dont want to have my pump rebuilt( I was gonna go rebuild option, buy a nicer reservoir, etc) and throw a bad pulley or wear the bearing with a out of alignment belt

on the alternator, I am using my gauge as well as dmm. Im asking because I read elsewhere and here in this forum that a 10si needs resistance in a wire that finds its way through a light in the cluster or else it doesnt work at its rated capacity or in the lower rpm as much. I dont want to throw an alternator at the truck if this one works fine. It will need an alternator anyway, but that was beyond the point. I have a cs130 that I would like to put on, but again it comes back to pulley alignment. If these bearings are gonna get ruined by improper alignment i dont want to put them on right away, I have working used parts that I would much rather be sacrificial lambs than buying new parts and throw them at the issue without fixing the underlying problems. Once I have the underlying things fixed, a new part is much easier to justify the cost of and would also mean im not doing it again later.

I was also gonna be changing the charge wire because regardless of if the fusible link is good, my reading has indicated a cs130 might overpower the original wire especially when age and heat cycling are considered

ANd way future, I would like to repair my AD237 alternator and use on the truck, but that is likely going to need some other changes because that alternator is frankly a little big for my brackets.

BUT in researching more for that on a quick search I learned that a 10si on a shelf will eventually loose magnetism and has to be re-excited. I think 20+ years is more than fair for losing magnetism from the factory 35 years ago. I will try that right away.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m not as motivated as you.
Generally when I have a bad or failing part, I replace it with a new one and move on.
Generally yields the expected result of checking that issue off the list.
I however do not have a personal pick n pull in my back yard.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

In that era, you either had a gauge or a dummy light. But not both. Where is this light? In the voltage gauge itself or the speedo or fuel gauge? If it's in the voltage gauge, I for sure have never seen that before on the squarebody trucks. If it's in the speedo or fuel gauge, I've never seen that either. But that's not to say it was just not overlooked. I've just seen the normal Choke/4x4 loc/ 4 wheel drive/ seatbelt/ etc. that are commonly seen but not always used.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
In that era, you either had a gauge or a dummy light. But not both. Where is this light? In the voltage gauge itself or the speedo or fuel gauge? If it's in the voltage gauge, I for sure have never seen that before on the squarebody trucks. If it's in the speedo or fuel gauge, I've never seen that either. But that's not to say it was just not overlooked. I've just seen the normal Choke/4x4 loc/ 4 wheel drive/ seatbelt/ etc. that are commonly seen but not always used.
nvm i was looking at the wrong gauge, the warning is in the oil pressure gauge.
however,
"For trucks with a factory ammeter (73-75) or voltmeter (76+), the cab harness contains a 10Ω resistance wire (usually brown with a white stripe) that takes the place of the "GEN" bulb. The resistance is necessary to protect the alternator's diode trio and to prevent feedback into the ignition that could keep the engine running after the key is turned off."

No idea if this is true or not, but it seems it should be there already. Maybe I need to shock it into excitement(steamy)

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:i just had to laugh at this.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You should be charging at over 13v more like 14 at high idle.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Back to the original mis alignment issue. Why are they all out of whack again ? Are you useing pontiac or olds parts or something? I still would think the brackets might work but maybe there close like you found. Any SBC mounts should work and align right. You either must have mismatching eras or brackets or bent or beat up stuff. I would go make sure all the brackets are right . Pull them off one of your blown engines laying around and swap to this motor and just run the components you have untill gone...which it really sounds like they are at this point. And either dig deeper into that shed or buy some more from Rock Auto or somewhere.

I'm with the other guy though. I don't think I could all the trial and error of these random parts. I commend your patience and willing to make it work.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
if you put all the acessories on without spacers they are all not in alignment. Its common practice to have to use washers and spacers for the distance from engine to pulley groove to be the same among the different pullies?the alternator needed 1 washer and that was more a slight bend in the bracket i didnt want to fatigue by bending back

Its all SBC, early 70s to mid 80s

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So every power steering pump, alternator, smog pump, vacuum pump, AC compressor, water pump, and crankshaft pulley have all lined up and never needed spacers? Just their brackets?
SBC that is i guess. Even the pump i took off to put on mine had a spacer on it for PS, just longer in one spot because of a AC compressor provision

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Nope, nothing that didn’t come from the assembly line.
Unless trying to cobble together different applications onto a different engine. In which case, use whatever you need to get it lined up.
I’m only saying there wasn’t a dude on the assembly line deciding how many washers to shim behind an alternator bracket or whether to replace 4 washers with an oversize hex nut “spacer” to get it to line up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell