V Belt Suggestions - Fan spacing, pulley sizing, belt routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lololo size matters, I dont care what she says to your face.
How did Cubo figure out what was goin on anyway?

Id run the 7 blade fan ..and if you want two PS belts, you gotta run a 3 belt crank pulley like he said BUT aint no way in hell I would spend much time or effort into trying to run 2 belts to every accessory just to do it.

What was the question? How come theres no pix?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
there are pix silly rusty. I have a 3 belt crank pulley but it was too far out of my current belt alignment that i just forgoed the thought of using those. maybe if i run across a 3 belt (equal) pulley id do it, but im not gonna buy one for 40+ dollars just to do it. But this is what i have now. after i confirm the pulleys are straight and acessories are ok ill get new belts and run a 2nd to the PS
You must be registered for see images attach

I only had one belt that could run PS to crank but the length of it just maxed out my adjuster so I figured i would just use a longer crank, wp, ps belt and then for alt a crank, wp, alt belt for the time being. 2 belts spinning the fan/coolant yay

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't mean anything by this seriously. Do you have a job? We all love to work on our trucks and I know that but it seems like you always are tearing apart one of your trucks, or digging through the pile of parts you have and trying to figure what something is so that you can swap it to the broken or rigged part on one of your trucks. At this point I have no idea how many running or driving trucks you have. Maybe your turning likes of parts and chassis's into more trucks?o_O:33::Big Laugh:

I agree though with some of the other guys, me personally I'd just throw some belts on it, whatever you have that fits and run it as long as there not your original problem of being mis aligned.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't mean anything by this seriously. Do you have a job? We all love to work on our trucks and I know that but it seems like you always are tearing apart one of your trucks, or digging through the pile of parts you have and trying to figure what something is so that you can swap it to the broken or rigged part on one of your trucks. At this point I have no idea how many running or driving trucks you have. Maybe your turning likes of parts and chassis's into more trucks?o_O:33::Big Laugh:

I agree though with some of the other guys, me personally I'd just throw some belts on it, whatever you have that fits and run it as long as there not your original problem of being mis aligned.
well yes but what accessories was the question, but it seems crank wp alt, crank wp, ps is not a bad combo for now.

ANyway, i do have a job. i was off for 3 days because of infection and i really was only laid up one day but company requires you be gone for 3 to disinsentivise people getting doctors notes for single days all the time. and i have a bunch of BS at work going on so i probably wont be staying if HR doesnt go my way, i am just done putting the mental energy into a place with a meth addict boss who likes to power trip while speed ballin. i make 17 an hour as a quality assurance tech

Its what i do on my spare time, its relaxing and fun. I like learning and history and cars so its like triple bam wammy on interests. And it helps distract from the day

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well yes but what accessories was the question, but it seems crank wp alt, crank wp, ps is not a bad combo for now.

ANyway, i do have a job. i was off for 3 days because of infection and i really was only laid up one day but company requires you be gone for 3 to disinsentivise people getting doctors notes for single days all the time. and i have a bunch of BS at work going on so i probably wont be staying if HR doesnt go my way, i am just done putting the mental energy into a place with a meth addict boss who likes to power trip while speed ballin. i make 17 an hour as a quality assurance tech

Its what i do on my spare time, its relaxing and fun. I like learning and history and cars so its like triple bam wammy on interests. And it helps distract from the day
You are very efficient on your days off!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I would run it like it is supposed to be. it looks good in post #17. what's wrong with it like that?

the dual belt PS is for when there is an AC belt.

the dual belt alternator is the wrong pully. somebody probably threw on a alternator off a car on. I believe Buick's had the dual alternator pully.

highdesertranger

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
that alternator is off a buick or pontiac 305 sbc. and all the makes used them pretty sure, just depended on where ac compressor and alt mounted. i know what the dual belt alt Is meant to do, i was just thinking of using my limited accessories but extra pulleys to run more belts for more contact, less wear. more resistance to slip

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
AuroraGirl

You need a two groove crank pulley, one belt goes to the wp, and the alt.. Second belt on the crank goes to the ps, that's it. That way you just need to adjust two things separately and that's the alt., and the ps by itself. This was the way my truck was from the factory, except it came with a three groove crank pulley and the third belt went to the A/C. When I rebuilt the engine I took the three groove crank pulley off and found a two groove from a wrecking yard. I removed the two groove pulley from the alt. and it all lined up. What you have to watch out for is the depth of the bell of the pulley, especially from the water pump. Some applications from different engines will have pulleys with different depths of the bell shape of the pulley. Other than that you can get a pulley spacer from some parts place that sets the depth the fan sits in the shroud. The rule of thumb is the fan should sit half way into the shroud so that it will suck air from inside the shroud. If it sits to far out of the shroud it has a tendency to whip air from outside the shroud. Set to deep if anything happens the fan could hit the radiator. I still have the original steel fan on my truck. My racer friends said it would take to much horse power to turn it that's why racers use no fan, or a very light weight one. Well, I'm not worried about a fraction of a horse power due to a fan.

pic of fan and pulleys. Not a very good one of the fan. I thought it was better but you can see the spacer I use.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't see any need whatsoever for double PS pump belt unless you're trying to run your plow hydros off of it maybe. Lotsa years pushin snow in old Chebbys, power steering belt slippage is 100% not an issue.
For example, my truck with an old pump of unknown age is sitting on aired down (30psi or so) 35s and turning the wheel vehicle stopped, sitting on exposed aggregate concrete, is 1 finger steering, no belt slippage (no pump whine either).
Alternator may be considered for a double belt application, but again, totally not necessary with the puny alternators on these trucks (by today's standards). Maybe if you did a major custom upgrade to a 150-200A alternator (which you're not doing). Properly installed and tensioned, the belt won't slip.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Any of ya'll, what in the world would you need a 150 to 200 amp alt. for? Running a ton of off road lights, or what? What auto accessories would need that much juice?

I would like to put on another alt. and it would be strictly used for keeping a deep cycle batt. charged up for external lights with one of those inverters for 120 ac power. Maybe then would I need one of those big ass alt.? I'm sure there's a formula to figure out just how big it would need to be, isn't there? I haven't even bothered to look for one. The original one that I restored has 55 amp. stamped on the case. Isn't that funny? All the access's used by people today what with phones charging, laptops, and no telling what else. But that's just it, what else? For 200 amps.?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
"Any of ya'll, what in the world would you need a 150 to 200 amp alt. for? Running a ton of off road lights, or what? What auto accessories would need that much juice?"

winch

highdesertranger

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
"Any of ya'll, what in the world would you need a 150 to 200 amp alt. for? Running a ton of off road lights, or what? What auto accessories would need that much juice?"

winch

highdesertranger

In AG's case, snow plowing. Not something commonly considered in the bayou, lol!
If running an electric plow pump, it sucks a ton of juice. Lights used to, but most plowing commercially have likely switched to LED.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Don't see any need whatsoever for double PS pump belt unless you're trying to run your plow hydros off of it maybe. Lotsa years pushin snow in old Chebbys, power steering belt slippage is 100% not an issue.
For example, my truck with an old pump of unknown age is sitting on aired down (30psi or so) 35s and turning the wheel vehicle stopped, sitting on exposed aggregate concrete, is 1 finger steering, no belt slippage (no pump whine either).
Alternator may be considered for a double belt application, but again, totally not necessary with the puny alternators on these trucks (by today's standards). Maybe if you did a major custom upgrade to a 150-200A alternator (which you're not doing). Properly installed and tensioned, the belt won't slip.
after using my setup for a bit now, i have run into a similar situation of my old one but more consistent. at idle i get choppy turning. To me, that seems more flow-rate than pressure. Someone else mentioned pulley size, but to my understanding if you have sufficient pressure then changing the pulley size shouldnt help in that case, and maybe cavitate fluid. I do run a filter on the return and there may be bends I can improve, so I was going to try plumbing the return with less bending and see if that can help, but i was gonna try buying a new control valve online(or one out of stock 77 with HD front end setup, clean it up) and see if it that fixes it. At end of the day, it could be a worn pump. it is of unknown wear ultimately

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
“Choppy” power steering could be belt slippage.
Eliminate that first. Sounds contradictory to what I said about not needing double belts but if it’s slipping, imo 2 belts is a bandaid.
Make sure belt not glazed, or new belt.
Same for pulleys. Clean and scuff with some sandpaper.
Or the old time bandaid. Shoot it with some belt dressing.
Do that before condemning hard parts.
Those PS filters unless plugged do not restrict flow imo. They’re pretty coarse screens that catch chunks not minute particles.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any of ya'll, what in the world would you need a 150 to 200 amp alt. for? Running a ton of off road lights, or what? What auto accessories would need that much juice?

I would like to put on another alt. and it would be strictly used for keeping a deep cycle batt. charged up for external lights with one of those inverters for 120 ac power. Maybe then would I need one of those big ass alt.? I'm sure there's a formula to figure out just how big it would need to be, isn't there? I haven't even bothered to look for one. The original one that I restored has 55 amp. stamped on the case. Isn't that funny? All the access's used by people today what with phones charging, laptops, and no telling what else. But that's just it, what else? For 200 amps.?
Big @$$ winch! On board air compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb