Update interior have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Hey Gang, i am going to start doing an update to my interior soon. I just got back driving the truck and with the cummins things are a bit louder inside. As of now it has no insulation. I want to make it as quite as possible. I saw a product that is a spray on insulation of some sort, does that stuff work and protect against rust? I saw it on this website but i cant find it now. Also Dynamat seems to be pretty popular also. Can i use both products?

Thanks

Chris

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I know two people that have Lizard Skin in there trucks. I know what they sounded like before and what they sound like know, is like night and day. When I go to redo my floors with new carpet, I'm going to use Lizard Skin, it has rust protection, and it's a roll on, my one buddy put three coats on his truck, and you can't hear **** outside, and he has a 4" dual exhaust Dodge Diesel.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Thanks i am gonna have to look that up. That goes on the inside i guess not on the underside of the floor? I also need to do the roof and behind the seat.

Last edited:

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I'm about to redo my cab as well. I plan to use bed liner on the under side. For the inside I'm going to have to cut my floor up a little so I'll most likely use Rubberized under coating, put down plenty of dynomat, and than put down my insulated carpet. I've had pretty good luck with this combination of treatments. The only part I haven't tried yet is the undercoating but I'm hoping it will seal the floor and new welds from moisture.
As for the lizard skin products I've heard great things about them also. Plenty of options out there though.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I used lizard skin on my floor and it worked well :waytogo: can be kind of a pain to use but does work and is probably a bit cheaper than dynamat :shrug:

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Can you use that lizard skin on the firewall too, inside and under the hood?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Can you use that lizard skin on the firewall too, inside and under the hood?

I would imagine so. It's mainly a heat and sound deadener. Not sure how it'd look under the hood and I'm not sure it's paintable, though.

RyanTexas

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Less than 100 bucks for the pre-cut heat and sound deadeners from LMC. That's 2 separate pieces which should be pretty thick and pretty quiet. They may have some spray in stuff too, or I might just be remembering an adhesive. I will be doing all of the above when I do my floors and buy a custom 40-20-40 seat with 3 individual sliding tracks. Can't remember the site on the seats, but they make them for everything and sell all bracket adapters so they'll slide like new.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Old 77,

I am not to concerned with being able to paint over it. But i will take a look at my options here. Right now i been struggling with the dash and the bezel lites because of a bad ground and installation of my radio and custom mounting the speakers. Did you spray the lizard skin on or roll it out? Its sucks it comes in 2 gallon containter... guess i am going to be doing 3 of my trucks. I hate to waste stuff.

I would be interested in learning about the seats. I know you can cut the floors to fint 03-06 seats in there but i am not a fab guy so i have to pay someone to do it!

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You might also check into Burb seats too like what Mr Clean did with his truck. Those would be MUCH easier to fit in there with probably slight modification to the brackets or something. :waytogo: I know he just did this in his build thread a few weeks ago so you might check it out for an idea of an easier way to freshen up your interior without having to do a complete fabrication job.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
I might as well continue my thread with another questions.... its audio now!

I got my new head unit 6v9 speakers and i think 3x3 speakers. I custom fit everything and it actually looks pretty darn good. The speakers for the front doors didnt come with any mesh guards just flimsy plastic. Any idea where i can get something like that? I will try to take a picture tomorrow of the doors. The holes are not pretty but the speakers cover it up really well.

bakerboys

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy k20
Engine Size
355 Roller
ok I just have redone my whole interior in my 85 k20

I went to home depot and bought this stuff called QUICK ROOF

It is pretty much like the stick on dynamat

its 25 ft 6 in wide for like 16.00 bucks

Dont laugh yet

I did the whole roof floor back wall under glass and doors

LET me tell you my truck is so quiet it is like a new truck
Just tonight I finally finished the truck its been 6 months of hard work
but well worth it

I took my wife for a ride tonight in my like brand new truck and she could not believe the difference

I have headders dual pipes with 1 chamber flows and its pretty loud but not inside the truck
ALso have 2 amps a crossover 2 10s 2 6x8s 2 3.5s and its loud with no rattle

Im serious this stuff really works

bakerboys

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy k20
Engine Size
355 Roller
6 months to re do the whole truck not just the sound and heat insulation