Unused ground buss and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
A few quick questions:

1. What accessories are typically tied into the ground buss located behind dash on driver side?
You must be registered for see images attach

2. It’s been a while since I’ve driven my truck. I don’t recall if not having my seatbelt on or not having this black/white wire hooked up produced a buzzing or warning light?

3. If so, it’s looking for a path to ground, correct? I could coil it up and plug it onto the ground mentioned above.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Without knowing the model year, it's difficult to say for sure what that wire is. But if it is the ground wire for the seat belt warning light/buzzer and you connect it to the ground bus block, the warning light and buzzer will stay on until the timer shuts them off.

The BLK/WHT 238 is connected to a NC switch in the seat belt retractor. The other side of the switch is connected to ground.

When the belt is extended, the contacts open, the path to ground is broken and the warnings are disabled.

Look at your fuse block. Are there two flashers - plugged into the upper left and lower right corners - and a black box mounted to the top? Like this:

Or is there only one flasher plugged into the fuse block (lower RH corner) and a detached "convenience center" with the other flasher? The CC would be mounted to the firewall to the right of the steering column:

The convenience center and single flasher fuse block came into use starting in 1985. That should help you dial in the MY of your truck. That's very useful information that you can provide when asking for help with electrical systems.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The BLK/WHT 238 is connected to a NC switch in the seat belt retractor. The other side of the switch is connected to ground.

When the belt is extended, the contacts open, the path to ground is broken and the warnings are disabled.

So if I’m reading your post correctly, I can wrap it up out of the way and not connect it and it will never buzz?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
So if I’m reading your post correctly, I can wrap it up out of the way and not connect it and it will never buzz?

Yes, I believe that's correct.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You know for sure you ****** up when it burns to the ground..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Rock solid post there chengny. :cool:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You know for sure you ****** up when it burns to the ground..
True.

Not 100% sure I’m running a full carpet kit yet. Probably will. I doubt the paint on sound deadener will be enough.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
True.

Not 100% sure I’m running a full carpet kit yet. Probably will. I doubt the paint on sound deadener will be enough.
The $ you save on carpet can go towards good quality auto sound mat... the the rubber floor liner over top.
If you run loud pipes it will quite the road noise!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The $ you save on carpet can go towards good quality auto sound mat... the the rubber floor liner over top.
If you run loud pipes it will quite the road noise!
The road noise is a concern. It’s a close second behind metal preservation and rust.

It would be sweet if someone made a marine grade carpet kit for squares. I’ll have to look...

Then I could just have nice all weather mats over that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith