Two questions about 83 dually just bought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

showme

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
1982 Chevy and 1983 GMC
Truck Model
C3500's
Engine Size
350's
Hey, people, I have a few things to do on the newest old bomb on the curb. 1) This truck has a rear sway bar, and one of the rods that connects it to the frame is missing. Looks to be 8-10" long, threaded at both ends from what I saw the other day. Where can I find a replacement without having to buy the whole sway bar kit? Didn't take a close look at it yet. Was under there checking the tranny pan to make sure I get the right filter/gasket set for it, and just noticed the missing part. (Yes, it the rear sway bar). The PO had also put new bushings on the front sway bar, and one of the bolts from one of them is missing, too. What size is right for that?

2) I'll ask the other question in a different post. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sway bar end links are easy, just go to the parts store and get a new pair of them for around 10 dollars. I don't recall about the front bolts, somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch, about 1.5 inches long.

showme

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
1982 Chevy and 1983 GMC
Truck Model
C3500's
Engine Size
350's
Thanks for that. I had looked online and in my LMC catalog, and didn't find anything but full sets. Figured I was going to heading to the junk yard, and it's in the teens with about 6" of snow on the ground here. :( I will try the local Napa tomorrow and see what they have.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Man if you can find an old dooley at the junk yard, pick over it good. They are scarce! I was lucky to find one a month or so ago and pulled a bunch of parts, I always try to keep an eye out for them!

showme

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
1982 Chevy and 1983 GMC
Truck Model
C3500's
Engine Size
350's
They seem to be plentiful around here (southeast Missouri Ozarks). I bought one (82) last summer that runs great, has a service body with all the tool boxes, and it runs great for $2,300. It also had a Ramsey winch, a 5000 w generator and a Lincoln Ranger 8 welder, plus some other goodies. But it doesn't have the rear sway bar. So I'm looking for one piece of a sway bar assembly, and I can't even find out what that part is actually called. LMC, one of my go-to places for stuff I can't locate and pics of where located, only carries up to 3/4 ton parts. The other online places have the sets, but no part lists. I'm not spending $300 on a bunch of stuff I don't need. I just hate to crawl under multiple trucks in the 15* snow in the junkyard fields to locate one. I'd just like to buy a new one (or pair) and get it over with. But, thanks for the tip per picking parts off them. I will.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I've got an 85 dually sitting out back that might have the parts you want on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade