turbo 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
So the turbo 400 that is in my 78 has the cast aluminum 6 bolt inspection cover. My new transmission I have only has the two maybe 4 1/4 inch bolts. The date code on the transmission says it's out of a 69. It has a 203 transfer case bolted to it. Is there anyway vi can use the aluminum inspection cover or am I stuck with ordering a stamped steel one

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could have all the internals swapped to the K case. I think your out of luck trying to retro fit the covers. I believe if you examine the thickness of the transmission case flanges where the covers bolt to, that they are different thicknesses. If they are the same thickness then you could drill and tap new holes, however I do not know if that's a good idea as you will now have weakened the flange with all the extra holes in it. Its maybe not such a big deal if you are only mounting the cover, in which case it doesn't really matter if you were to use the stamped steel one. The cast cover is used to attach the torque bars from the engine mounts to eliminate torque flexing of the case and ultimately the transfer case. If you are wanting to use the cast cover to be able to use the torque bars I would suggest having your K case rebuilt or the internals swapped.

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
How big of a deal would it be by not running the cast cover and torque bars? It's just a plow truck it will never be on the road other than to drive it home. It won't be doing any off roading I'm just trying to get the truck up and running to get through winter

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you make sure that the transfer case to bell housing torque bar is installed you should be ok.

But be aware that heavy throttle in 4x4 with the drive line under tension is exactly why those engine to transfer case bars were put there.

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
The transfer case bars are there and I plan on running them I'm just a little confused as to why the four wheel drive case doesn't have the k case

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The 4wd case is the K case

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Wouldn't the k case have the holes for the cast cover? This one has the holes for a stamped cover

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
69 I don't think they ran the bars

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
That would make sense but 69 didn't have 203 transfer case either did it

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im not sure when they started with the bars.

I had a 6.2 with a th400 and no bars to the transmission just the one to the transfer case. I never broke anything. Mine was originally a 700r4 and who ever swapped in the th400 never installed the bars cause they are slightly different from th400 to 700r4

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
73-77 for a th400 model so if its on a 69 case then someone did a swap job. th400/np205,203 were popular jeep mods

howlinghuskoe

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
So someone probably swapped internals or cut the output then?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
could be any possibility. Could be a stock th400 with a stock 203