turbo 400 to turbo 350 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riddle

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
sbc
what all will I need to change out to go from a turbo 400 to a turbo 350 both transmissions have the same case length. thanks

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I might be wrong but I thought the 400 was a few inches longer than the 350. Also I believe the 400 has an electric switch for the kick down mounted inline with the gas pedal. Are you using the original transfer case or one already mated to the 400?

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
If you still have the turbo 400 in your truck i would pay to have it rebuilt before i went with the 350. The 400 is a much more stout trans and you will be happier in the long run. Also the spline count is different from the 350 to the 400. The 350 has 27 and the 400 has 32. Hopefully hotrod will see this soon he is the trans guru

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yes the case lengths are different (driveshaft mods) and, as stated, the kick down is a switch on the gas pedal.

The spline counts and adapters are different so if you're reusing the original tcase there will be additional work there also.

Rebuild the th400...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is this a 2wd or a 4wd? All above is true. Lengths are different, Tcase will be different, Driveshaft Yokes will be different and you'll have to add the Detent Cable bracket to the intake manifold and provision for the detent cable to the carb.

However, I still feel a Th350 to a Th400 is worthwhile. If you're not running a big block or doing heavy towing, the Th350 is a good choice for mild to moderate work duty. Th400 is what you'd want for moderate to severe duty. As far as driveshaft mod, don't mod the driveshaft. The Th350 driveshafts are out there for 2wd in U Pull it yards. A truck with a 700r4 driveshaft will work too provided your Th350 is a 9in tailshaft which is the OE size for squarebody trucks. So any 2wd truck with a Th350 or 700r4 will fit, truck for truck and have the correct yoke on it since Th350 and 700r4 have the same output splines. What I mean is, half ton long bed for half ton long bed. A shortbed driveshaft for a longbed truck is going to be to short of course. Also, try to match up the donor driveshaft with the same rear end incase there is a difference in length of a 10bolt or a 12bolt. I think there is a little difference there. Finding a good used one will be much cheaper than getting yours modified to work. I'd put new U joints in it though if they are OEM.

The Th350 might give you a hair better mpg, will for sure increase the horsepower to the wheels due to less paratitic loss thru the tranmission. Th350 is also lighter weight, and a tad better 1st gear. If your Th400 converter is still good, it'll also fit the Th350. You can also use the same flexplate and shift linkage. Crossmember will be in a different location too. Guessing about 2in closer to the motor for the Th350. Reason being, Th350 has the mount on the case, Th400 has the mount on the tailshaft so it puts the crossmember in a different location.

riddle

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
sbc
thank yall for the help. sorry I should have said its a 2wd c10 short bed stepside with a turbo 400. I am trying to find another 400 but already have a good turbo 350 both are the same overall length from front of case to tail and I also have a yoke for the turbo 350. I just cant remember what all I will need to change.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A Th425 is a front wheel drive Trans. Some parts interchange with a Th400 but some will not. They'll fit but the trans won't work. Think about it for a second... Being FWD, the trans makes a U turn to the outputs. This means you're roller clutches and sprags much catch in the opposite diretion and freewheel in the opposite direction of a RWD trans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD