Tuning Gen 3 (for noobs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
it has come to my attention that this forum is stepping up, getting a section dedicated to LS engines and what not. So i figured i'd post up a few tips to help you guys with your swap. So, you have your Gen 3 wired up and ready for that first start, you spin the key over and the engine either: cranks, but stalls, or doesn't fire at all. This could possibly be because of an error in your wiring OR VATS. if you've checked all of your wiring, and it is indeed correct then your next step would be to disable VATS. Don't worry, this process will only take about ten minutes using HPtuners.

Step one: Try to start your square. it will either crank, but stall or not crank at all, as depicted above.
Step two: **Leave your key ON** ****VERY IMPORTANT**** otherwise you will have to start all over.
Step three: Click on relink VATS on the flash menu.
Step four: Wait 10 minutes
Step five: Pull key from igniton.
Step six: Wait ten seconds.
Step seven: Start your vehicle
If the vehicle doesn't start, repeat the entire process, as you possibly could have overlooked a step.

asb2106

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
MORE INFO PLEASE!!

I've had to get through some basics recently with HPTuners, downstream o2 delete, and worked with TM, PE, and trans goodies. But I now want to get into tuning the MAF and VE tables. I just picked up a LM1 wideband to wire into my HPTuners and Im going to start getting some readings and what not.

I have watched calibrated success a few times however its still quite a bit of info, that Im slowly starting to absorb..

Currently Im playing with a 99 silverado, but I am starting tuning on my lr4/4l80 combo going in my 79 step side square very soon. Its getting a new cab in the upcoming weeks, shortly after ill be dropping the engine in.

Plans for the motor are rebuild/worked heads, and a cam.

I just would like to hear any tips or tricks you my have for gen 3 tuning :) I've gotten pretty comfortable in trans tweaking. Really liking the performance of the 4l60 in the silverado Im working on.

Really looking forward to getting more into it, thanks!

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
MORE INFO PLEASE!!

I've had to get through some basics recently with HPTuners, downstream o2 delete, and worked with TM, PE, and trans goodies. But I now want to get into tuning the MAF and VE tables. I just picked up a LM1 wideband to wire into my HPTuners and Im going to start getting some readings and what not.

I have watched calibrated success a few times however its still quite a bit of info, that Im slowly starting to absorb..

Currently Im playing with a 99 silverado, but I am starting tuning on my lr4/4l80 combo going in my 79 step side square very soon. Its getting a new cab in the upcoming weeks, shortly after ill be dropping the engine in.

Plans for the motor are rebuild/worked heads, and a cam.

I just would like to hear any tips or tricks you my have for gen 3 tuning :) I've gotten pretty comfortable in trans tweaking. Really liking the performance of the 4l60 in the silverado Im working on.

Really looking forward to getting more into it, thanks!

i'm getting into it also. so far all i've been able to do is get VATS tuned out. that's why i said if anybody had anymore information to chime in lol

asb2106

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
:) I will share my progress as I go!

MAF/VE to come soon and my entire build on my sb coming soon. I plan to post many pics here.

Joshua8336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
:) I will share my progress as I go!

MAF/VE to come soon and my entire build on my sb coming soon. I plan to post many pics here.

post it here, it might become sticky worthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terminator