Truck only starts in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Went out today hit the key and nothing! Held the key pulled the shifter down wen I hit reverse it cranks and fires up.. Do I need a neutral safety switch?? Or something else weird going on?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The park/neutral switch likely out of adjustment. It is on the column near the firewall inside the cab. Part of it rotates to adjust according to shifter location.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cool thanks I'll check that. Is it close to the ignition switch?

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Inside the cab closer to the floor

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok I'll check that and let you know what I find!

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Replaced that part at the top of the colum neer the firewall started perfect a couple times now starting in like reverse or drive.. Something in the colums out of wack?? Defiantly some crunching going on in my colum .. Rebuilding it hard?? I have a yard neer me that HAD two colums not sure if they are still there..mine is a 79 with wiper switch on the dash the junkyard colums are newer with wiper switch on the column can I use them for parts or is there a kit I can buy?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
you can convert to newer column with not too many issues. The wiper switch would have to be addressed, and I seen it mentioned some where that the park/neutral switch would plug in a different location because newer column use a physical lockout instead. High beam/low beam I believe also effected if yours is on the floor. There are not too difficult of a wiring change. The actual column can be repaired by replacing the bearing portion. I have to search for it, but some one here had posted part numbers for it before.
But the core problem of starting in wrong gear might still be resolvable by adjusting the switch that you have replaced. And also check the shifting linkage for excessive play.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The outer part of the switch (where the terminals are and the wires attach) can be easily indexed around the stationary base (the part mounted on the column). Just move it CW/CCW as needed to set it in the correct spot - it will make a ratcheting sound as it moves.

Procedure to adjust - best done with a helper:

1. Key on and gear shift in the "R" position.

2. Get under the dash and rotate the outer part of the switch - one way or the other -until the helper yells, - "Back up lights are on"

3. Keep rotating the movable part - in that same direction - until he yells, "Back up light are out"

4. Reverse the direction of rotation until lights go out again. You have determined the endpoints of the switch's contact closed arc. There may be about 4-5 clicks from end to end.

5. Move the outer section to the midpoint of the contacts closed arc.

That is the final setting for the reverse lights. The neutral start contacts should track along with the reverse lights and allow power to the solenoid when the gear shift is in P/N.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64