Truck back from carb rebuild, need some advise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Hey guys, So i just got my truck back from the shop that rebuilt my carb. Now a few things, Pickings are hella super slim for anyone that will touch a carb around here. So I found the one guy with pretty good reviews to rebuild and tune my rochester. Well when he opened it up he said it looked like hell and a float was cracked and this and that so he got a rebuild kit and did it. Well he also went ahead and check my timming and vac advance and the thing im rly not sure about is that he removed just about all the vac hoses..... and i don't know why other than he said it dosn't need them. So i took the truck home and they even said this happens and not sure wat the deal is but when i get on it pretty good from prolli 30-50 (cus my speedo it way the eff off) and then left off to cruise it studders, either lack of fuel or i dunno its tough to explain. But i do have 3 filters on this fuel line if that might have something to do with it? I am sure i can do away with the 2 of them now and see. But, for wat i paid im not sure im very happy with that. But like i said its not all the time and just when i let off other wise yes it seem to start and run just fine without thos vac hoses but i dunno im kinda worried also not all them ports that they were on are blocked off or capped off. I also have almost no back pressure cus my exhaust rusted off right after the manifolds. Ill post some pics of it all later tonight. but any thoughts would be nice.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If you didnt need the hoses he disconnected, GM would not have put them there. I say you take it back, and have him correct what he did. You didnt ask him to remove anything, you asked him to rebuild and install the carburetor, which includes tuning, so you shouldnt have any problems. That truck should run like new, unless you have other problems besides the carburetor.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yea, i feel like i should cus i din't have that problem when i took it in but then again maybe its running better now and i didn't know i had that problem. but it rly wasn't running that bad once i got up and goind with it (before). But i don't know how to go and tell the guy i think he was wrong to take them off when he was trying to get it tuned the best he knew how, and hes not a young guy either. My truck had 2 of thoes evap canisters? the black containers with the vac hoses hooked to them. and he totaly took the one on the left fender out and gone. I tell you wat tho it does look nice and clean under there now tho.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Do you have any kind of emissions testing?

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No, and maybe thats why he did it. Also 2 older tech here at work said that they were prolli just all emission stuff. So maybe thats not my problem. Prolli hurts my mpg huh? but maybe runs fine? Its no daily driver so if he did it for less stuff to go wrong/more hp i dunno. I think ima just start by removing my fuel filters and then try it. One thing to is the two sensors? on top in front of the intake manifold (one is bright orange with 3 nippls and the other is to the left a little and its purple with 2 nipples) are just chillin there not removed or nipples blocked off... just leave them? or cap them? or remove them? I suppose a picture is worth a million words so ill snap a few as soon as i get off work here.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No, and maybe thats why he did it. Also 2 older tech here at work said that they were prolli just all emission stuff. So maybe thats not my problem. Prolli hurts my mpg huh? but maybe runs fine? Its no daily driver so if he did it for less stuff to go wrong/more hp i dunno. I think ima just start by removing my fuel filters and then try it. One thing to is the two sensors? on top in front of the intake manifold (one is bright orange with 3 nippls and the other is to the left a little and its purple with 2 nipples) are just chillin there not removed or nipples blocked off... just leave them? or cap them? or remove them? I suppose a picture is worth a million words so ill snap a few as soon as i get off work here.
Yeah...those are ported thermal vacuum switches. One delays EGR operation until the engine is at operating temp, and the other is probably part of a vac delay setup to keep the advance down until the engine warms up. there is really no reason to unhook them if they work, and if he couldnt tune with them hooked up, I would no refer him to anyone else.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
huh, :think: well say i give him the benifit of the dout for a day or two. I take my filters out than should i do anything to thos? I mean cus its friday and they don't open till mon anyways sooo i can tinker a bit my self.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but if you were starving it of fuel due to the resistance of the filters, it would give you problems when accelerating, not when you lift off. I don't think it's that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man that sucks.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but if you were starving it of fuel due to the resistance of the filters, it would give you problems when accelerating, not when you lift off. I don't think it's that.

Correct...it sounds more like there was a decel valve disconnected.
Kap, do you still have your emissions/Vacuum diagram on your radiator support. I would like to see exactly what you have, and what this guy fouled up.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey jim, sorry i didn't get a chanse to take pics or do anything to it tonight ... had a family thing come up. But i did get to drive it a bit, and its no EFI when it comes to starting but does start and run and once warm purrrrrs but i dunno compared to an efi its kinda a high idle and i don't have a tach so not sure wat its at but does dump into gear harder than any truck ive owned/drove but like i said this first carbed truck ive run. Its not horrible but to me seem harsh. and when i dump the trottle it has a studder but it does pull and i guess the let off studder rly doesn't happen untill i let off at about (guessing again) 65-70 ish and not all the time. But no Jim no diagram and when i redid all thos hoeses when i got the truck i actualy had to put a few diagrams together to get my setup to make sence cus ever single one i came across was not making sence to my setup. I dunno i guess im not impressed with the way it runs but then again i can't realy complain since its far better than it was but....maybe shes just a tired old 79 350. don't know wat to think. also knowing my grandpa and wat hes says is true no one has ever touched that motor so its aboslutly bone stock till i touched it and then this shop.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also i understand he prolli spent quite a few hours on my truck but.....we just say i spent ALOT. was not rdy for the bill they gave me.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Also i understand he prolli spent quite a few hours on my truck but.....we just say i spent ALOT. was not rdy for the bill they gave me.

Yeah, I was hoping you would go with SMI.
Its beginning to sound as if you may have some vacuum leaks.
Lance, have you ever done intake manifold gaskets before?
I am thinking that we need to give your rebuilt carb a freshened up foundation. I will see if I can scare up some vac digrams. Meanwhile, some engine pics would be great when you get a chance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh boy.

I took off the emissions items on my '84 too and it's fine BUT, I chose to remove it, I know what I use the truck for, and I know what I'm doing. He SHOULD NOT have removed anything without your permission, that's all there is to it. Sounds to me like your choke/fast idle is not working and this guy still has some work to do.

Does it at least run better than it did before he worked on it?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

That might be of some help...I'm still looking for a truck diagram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade